October 26, 2015

Shopping Cowl

I was walking through Target and it drew my attention almost immediately. They are currently selling the softest, loveliest cowls which are made large and giant, and I knew that I wanted something just like that, if not that itself. Then I was at Hobby Lobby and I saw the perfect colored thick squishy yarn for me for this season. I generally make a new scarf or cowl every time the temperatures start to drop in a year, and this one was no exception. Because of all the shopping involved in the inspiration of this project, the name was sort of a no-brainer. I am pleased to introduce you to the: Shopping Cowl.


Yarn: I love this Chunky! in Morocco, 2 skeins
Hook: P/11.5mm

Stitch: I knew I wanted a stitch look, but the needles and I don't get along. I had seen a crochet knit stitch somewhere along the way and went with that. While this is not the tutorial I used, it is an excellent one if you are not familiar with it. She calls it the Crochet Waistcoat Stitch. I found if I kept my stitches on the loose side it was easier to go back in them, especially using such a large hook. Since this cowl is worked in the round the stitch was perfect for it. Here's a picture of the stitch close up.



Chain 55
Carefully keeping chain straight work in the first chain joining to make a circle
Round 1: place a sc in every stitch of the chain, do not join
Continuous Rounds: place a waistcoat stitch in every sc, and then every waistcoat stitch from here on

I ended up with 30 Rounds total.
Finish off and weave in ends.

As usual, please let me know if you have any questions. This is a really simple pattern, but my explanation may have made it difficult.