July 16, 2014

A Molly Poncho and a Challenge for us all.



This:  20140715_083501

was such fun to make. My inspiration actually came from this knit (I believe) poncho. When I shared the project on Ravelry I was informed it looked a lot like Buckster's Fall Poncho, and I so agreed! Look at this amazing pattern you can get if you knit! Doesn't it look like the one I linked to?? Yep! When I made mine I was determined to only use left over yarn I already had, and apparently my yarn is sometimes quite... bright. But you know, while this is a little outside of my normal wear, I think it will be a fun wear on days I need a little extra punch, and it's like wearing a cloud it's so comfortable! At the bottom of this post I will share how I put it together.

But first, I want to challenge all you crocheters and knitters and quilters and crafters to a challenge.

AUGUST CREATORS CHALLENGE


In August my church puts on a Christmas in August event for families who have someone who is terminal and may not make it to the next Christmas. My heart goes out to these families, and I know this must be such a bittersweet event. I wish there was more that I could do for them, but it has inspired me to do something during this coming month of August.

My challenge, if you choose to accept, is to find a charity of any type and create what they collect. Make those items for the entire month of August, and then send them off to the charity. There are a lot of amazing charities which collect a variety of items which are handmade. I'm betting at least one of those popped into your head when I mentioned the challenge. Go for it. Send them a little bit of your heart and soul in the creations you make and they will share.

If you aren't familiar with any organizations which collect handmade items, then let me introduce you to the Bundle Up Club. You can "like" their Facebook page HERE, send in a donation rather than a creation HERE, and follow their blog HERE. The Bundle Up Club was started by two sweet girls who wanted to do something to help the homeless. They want people to know they are valued, loved, and worth the time invested in the creations they are making and collecting. I love their hearts and know this is only the beginning of two lives full of sharing, giving, and loving. They collect scarves, blankets, hats, and other handmade goods and if you contact them on their Facebook page they will let you know where to send the items you make.

Now,

the Molly Poncho.


Why Molly? Because as I was making it and watching the colors come together it reminded me of Molly Weasley's sweater from Harry Potter. The final result simply reminded my husband of a Mexican Poncho, which really I guess that's exactly what it is. As I said, this was my inspiration.

20140715_083844

Using a G hook I made two rectangles approximately 33x16 each. I made a chain 33 inches long, which was a 121 stitch chain making the first row in both rectangles as sc row.

These are the different rows I used to create the look.

Row A: sc across
Row B: dc across
Row C. *sc, chain 3, skip a stitch*, end with sc
Row D: dc, *dc, chain 1,*  end with two dc
Row E: 2dc, *skip 3 stitch, 4 dc*, end with 2 dc
Row F: 2 dc, *skip 2 stitches, 2 dc, 2 dc*, end with 2 dc

Repeat between * * to work across the row.

I mixed these rows up in no particular order, with no planned repetition as I went. I used a variety of colors with little repetition there as well, simply choosing out of the stash I had, until both rectangles were 16 inches wide.

Then I sewed the end of one rectangle (a) to the bottom side of the other rectangle (b). Then I did the reverse sewing the end of b to the bottom side of a. You can seam them in whatever way you wish, slip stitch, sc, ect. What I did was take the yarn from finishing off each row and used it to tie the end to the edge, knotting the yarn, and then weaving in the remaining yarn. Once the ends are attached weave in all the remaining ends.

This created a poncho which was too big, which was my goal.

From this point I filled in at the neck. I first did some short rows in the "back" as you can see in this picture. It allowed the back to be higher than the front once I started the neck rounds, more like a sweater neckline than a poncho neckline.

20140715_083944

After that when I went in rounds I would decrease stitches at the front V, and at each side of the short rows. I have no specific pattern for those, as I simply worked with each row to my best ability. I continued with the final round trying the poncho on each round until I had it at the size I felt was most comfortable.

This is a very freeform style of crochet, and I'm sorry I don't have more exact directions for you. If you give it a try though I would LOVE to see your result.

I would also LOVE to know which charity you send items to. I'll remind you of the challenge when August begins. I wanted to give you time to get your supplies and plans together before then.


I would love for you to join the conversation through 
Facebook, Twitter, my email, or in the comment section.

78 comments:

  1. I love this! Quick question, how long do you make your starting chaIn?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 33 inches long, which was a chain of 121 making the first row sc. Thanks for asking!! I'll add it to the post. :)

      Delete
  2. Oh Stacey, this is just fabulous! Will have to make 2, one to donate and one for ME! Just bought the yarn for your Morning Poncho Wrap this past weekend, so I best get it in gear. Thanks for sharing this beautiful pattern! Blessings!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh thank you Debbie!! I'm so glad you liked both patterns. :D

      Delete
  3. Love this poncho! I am using a slightly larger hook and decided to make it a little larger also. Can you please describe how you attached the 2 rectangles together a little better please?

    Thank you for the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I rewrote that part a little bit. Let me know if that helps or if I need to try again. THANK YOU for letting me know that area needed a little more instruction! :D

      Delete
  4. This just screams "wear me to a football game"!! I love it! I'm not sure f I could ever pull it off without having childhood flashbacks, but with jeans and boots, this would be amazing!! Love the challenge part, too. Might be a good time for me to get back into some needlecrafting and learn something new. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You make me laugh. I never did the poncho thing, that I can remember, when I was younger. :)

      Delete
  5. <3 this pattern! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you really like it. :)

      Delete
  6. A beautiful poncho. I live in India where there is hardly any winter. My daughters would refuse to wear sweaters/cardigans while playing outside so I used to make ponchos for them when they were very small. It kept them warm and they did not get too warm while playing in those.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is such a sweet memory!!! Thank you for sharing Sandhya!

      Delete
  7. I love this poncho!!!!! Thank you for sharing!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad! You are more than welcome. :)

      Delete
  8. Love this!
    Just found it this morning and had to send it off to some other folks who needed to see it.

    It immediately reminded me of a "Bohemian Scarf" that I learned from a friend in Longmont, CO while I was there on a business trip last year. So when I saw this my first thought was "Bohemian Poncho/Tunic!". I love the Molly Weasley association and how similar and interwoven all these ideas are.
    Thank you!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I had had the same association I SO would have gone with that name!! Thanks so much. :)

      Delete
  9. Stacy Daze. I love your Molly Poncho. I am doing a Shawl/Wrap round up on my site. May I share a link to it on my site? I would share one photo, a direct link, and a link to your home page. I am hoping to post it on This coming Tuesday (July 29th). After finished I will give you the link to the round up too. Thank you in advance :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That would be MORE than fine, Jennifer. Thanks! And please do let me know the link so that I can share it as well. I can't wait to see what else you have rounded up. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank you so much, and I will reply with the link after posting :)

      Delete
    3. http://www.niftynnifer.com/2014/07/our-very-first-round-up-shawls-wraps.html

      Delete
  10. Thanks for this beautifull pattern. I'd like to make this poncho for my sister in law. Do you have any suggestions about which yarn to use?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, all I used were leftovers in my stash from other projects. If you have seen the projects others have made on Ravelry the more varied yarns for textures and weights the better it ends up looking. WITH THAT BEING SAID, mine is almost all worsted weight yarn. :)

      Delete
    2. Thank Stacey! I'm just going to try something and be surprised.

      Delete
    3. I do hope you will share your result with me!! :D

      Delete
  11. So beautiful! I will use this pattern for the leftovers of my handspun!
    Thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm so glad you like it! I can't wait to see how yours turns out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this poncho!!
    Question...How many chains do you do at the end of each row?
    Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It depends on the stitch that you use. If the stitch is the shell it depends on if you start in the middle of a shell (3 ch) or on the sc (1 ch), if the stitch is a dc (2 ch), sc (1 ch), etc. I'm not sure if that is any help.

      Delete
    2. OH!! And thank you so much. I'm glad you like the poncho. :D

      Delete
  14. I fell in love with this poncho and pattern and the moment I saw it, I started to crochet. I've gotten one 16x33 panel finished and am in the middle of my second. However, I have a problem. Not sure how it happened (horrible head cold is my excuse) my second panel is more like 39 inches instead of 33, even though I chained the same. I must have done looser stitches. Now I am wondering if I should scrap it? Will the whole poncho be out of alignment if one panel is larger? Thank you so much for your help and the pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darlene, how tall are you? I'm 5'5" and you can see how the 33 fits my body. If you are talling than that what you could do is go back to the first panel and extend it on one end until it's also 39. I think as it is it could still work. A few things that might help if it's off center is (1) sew the shorter panel ends to the longer panel sides on both front and back (2) as you fill the neck line play with the stitches to make it more even. These are my best guess, I'm so sorry! On one note, if you do start the second panel over frog the first one because the yarn will still work for the smaller size. So sorry I"m not more help and I'm so glad you liked the pattern. I would love to hear how it ends up!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  15. I'm about 6 inches into my first panel of this poncho and I must say that I am loving it!! I've been in love with Molly's sleeves since I first saw them, so this just speaks to me. I hope to be able to get this finished before too long so I can wear it to my knitting group meetings!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! I would love to see your final result!

      Delete
  16. Hi,Thank you for the pattern, i love this poncho. I am new to crochet and have a little problem. I have done 5 rows so far in the same order how you wrote it (A,B,C,D..) but my work became very wavy :( but i didnt increase because i have a same number of chain what i had at the beginning...DO you know where do i go wrong? Thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to know when I can't see it, I'm so sorry. My only thought is work a few more and see if it straightens out, sometimes it does. Or check your tension and make sure you aren't doing some rows tighter than others. I hope it works out, but please contact me again if you need to. Feel free to email (link above right).

      Delete
  17. Oh my gosh! Great pattern... going to get into my stash and make this for next winter. I love your challenge too... Thanks again for sharing your pattern!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I hope you love it and would love to see how yours turns out. :)

      Delete
  18. Someone from a crochet group just posted this link on facebook and like you I've never really liked ponchos but I love, Love, LOVE your adaptation and can't wait to drag out my basket of stash ends and get to work. Thank you for showing how you made the neckline work like a sweater instead of a poncho. Best wishes to you and yours for a fabulous 2015!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you like it! I would LOVE to see your results. :D

      Delete
  19. When you work your panels, do you work back and forth along the rows or do you work with the right side always facing?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually did work back and forth, so it's reversible in that sense. You could easily work in one direction only if you wanted though. :)

      Delete
  20. Thank you for sharing, I love all the different stitches and colors!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! The beauty is each one turns out differently. :D

      Delete
  21. confused about row F..... 2 dc, *skip 2 stitches, 2 dc, 2 dc*, end with 2 dc....do you mean *skip 2sts,4dc in next 4 sts*?
    or *skip 2 sts, and 2dc in next st,2dc in next st*?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 2 dc in next st, 2 dc in next st. Sorry! And remember you can do whatever stitch you want with these rows! That's what makes it so versatile! I hope you are enjoying it.

      Delete
    2. thank you...i have been changing each row using the 6 you have shared ...will send picture when finished :-)

      Delete
    3. I was wondering the same thing. So for row E and row F, do they both start and end with 2DC in the same stitch? And for E, that's 4DC in the same stitch?
      I just want to be sure.

      Delete
    4. Yes, ma'am. It creates shells.

      Delete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. wow what a fabulous Poncho, it has the ilussion that its all one piece! I was surprise to see it is two panels..... just one question did you make the two panels exactly the same? i.e. each row pattern and colour in the same place or was the 2nd one just random?. thinking of trying this for a child first but love the overall effect of colour and pattern changes I am inspired!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, on this one the panels were completely different. I did create a poncho with the panels the same, and I worked the panels at the same time to make it easier to do so. Either way I think it comes out lovely. I can't wait to see yours!

      Delete
  24. Great poncho, thanks. I plan to crochet it for a competition, using handspun wool. I introduced Molly on my blog this morning, http://janemactats.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I would love to see how it turns out with the handspun wool! And I'm glad the pattern fits what you needed. :D

      Delete
  25. Now this is what I call a poncho!!!! Great colors with texture variation,,,, and long enough to keep important areas warm and drafts away. The ease of putting this together is a real plus. Thanks so much for sharing your talent with us.... SMILE Helen

    ReplyDelete
  26. Achei maravilhoso.
    Gostaria de obter a receita ou gráfico.
    Obrigada

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Estou tão feliz que você gostou.
      (I used Google translater.)

      Delete
  27. It is a beautiful poncho. I am in the process of making one. I would like to know if both panels are identical. For example colors and pattern. I will send you a picture of mine when it's done. Not sure what "select profile" means so I just selected anonymous.
    Diane

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Anonymous is fine, Diane. Thanks for dropping in! The two panels were not identical. I varied both the patterns and the yarn order. I have made one that was the same on both panels, but not this one. :) You can see the identical paneled on here: http://www.ravelry.com/projects/staceydaze/the-molly-poncho-2 :)

      Delete
  28. Love this!!! I hope to start on it this weekend! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Stacey, found your poncho on ravelry and instantly knew this is my style. I love working with multicolored. You mention that you used short rows on the back to make it taller in the back. I looked up crochet short rows on utube, and they basically said to stop a stitch short , and keep doing that. But it looks like you started your short rows in the bottom of the v, or did you? I'm confused on how to do this, please help.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I could have totally worded it badly. Yes, I start in the bottom of the v, and then I attach each end of the row to the edges of the poncho, making each row a stitch or two wider than the previous one in order to reach the edges. Does that help at all? :/

      Delete
  30. Stacey, I first of all am sorry if this comes out wrong but I want to thank you for your lack of direction. I have been crocheting all my life and have rigidly followed a pattern. I didn't know I was able to have such freedom. So thank you for giving me the inspiration and courage to just work it out. I have one of the panels finished and its like a good book, I can't put it down!
    Thanks again Liz

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your comment was WONDERFUL! I am so glad you are experiencing the freedom of the art! And I am so glad you are loving the process. :D

      Delete
  31. Stacy, I saw an afghan in a shop about a yr ago that I loved but didn't buy. I have kicked myself ever since. I've been wanting a poncho - one that looked like that afghan....and now I've found it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Thank you so much for sharing the pattern. I am just getting back into crochet. My mother taught me the basics when I was ten years old. I am 61 now, and I remember the poncho my mother made for me. Thanks for the inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're ever so welcome! I hope you enjoy the final product!

      Delete
  33. STACEY WHAT SIZE IS THIS PATTERN AS WRITTEn? SIMPLY LOVE THE COLORS.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The 33x16 panels create approximately a medium sized poncho. Have fun!

      Delete
  34. could someone please explain how to work the short rows for the back collar

    ReplyDelete
  35. Beautiful way to use up bits of yarn. I am going to start one for me but will need to size up a little. It looks pretty roomy though so I will only add a coupleinches at first, I am guessing its easy to adjust as you go. Thanks for writing this up.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Hello, your poncho is BEAUTIFUL!!!! Thank you for sharing. I am getting started first thing in the morning.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Love this pattern! I will make 1 and donate one.I am just getting back into crocheting now that I have retired. This will be a beautiful way to review what I know and explore new stitches.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...