This is what your Christmas is missing!

It's coming up on Christmas, my friends. And those that are parents are wondering what to do this year. Three gifts, or Santa gifts? Elf on a shelf or one of the many alternatives. And those without children are wondering if there is any magic in the season. Have I got a treat for all of you! My friend wrote a book sharing a Christmas tradition her family did and she still does. The twist is it's about doing for someone else rather than simply receiving. It's called the "12 Days of Christmas." 


I think Marianne and I came to know one another during a Blog from A-Z campaign. In her words she writes about "grown-up babies, seasoned parents, chasing wellness, chasing God, and dropping the meatloaf in the dish water." And now she's written an ebook about their own Christmas tradition someone once shared with her family, but they carried on and she still does.

Based off the song The 12 Days of Christmas, the idea behind the tradition is that you give a gift and card to someone for the 12 days leading up to Christmas. Each day you give something fun, practical, creative, or crazy that is closely or loosely based off each day of the song. 

Now, I know what you are thinking. "Stacey that sounds great. We're giving to someone else. Wonderful. But I'm not that creative, and I don't have that much time." I get it! And so does Marianne! She has given a wealth of ideas in the book for you to use. And she gives you ideas on what the fun cards should say as well. And she gives you alternatives on how you can do the entire tradition. Generally I always say to do what fits you best. She helps you find what fits you best.

The benefit of this book? Too many to count. But let's list a few:
  1. Your children learn that it truly is better to give than to receive. 
  2. Someone feels remembered and loved through the season.
  3. Relationships are formed or tightened.
  4. You have an activity to do with your children.
  5. You don't need children to do this for someone!

You need to go pick this book up. I do not receive anything for suggesting this book to you, nor am I paid for this post. I thought it was a really good idea, and am deciding who should be the recipient for my 12 days as I type. THAT might be he hardest part of this entire thing.

You can read what Marianne says about the ebook at her blog. But go and buy The "12 Days of Christmas Adventure" HERE at Smashmouth or HERE at Barnes and Noble (who gives you a sneak peek) right now.

I am SO thrilled to be able to give away one copy of the book to one of my friends here on the blog. All you need to do is leave a comment telling me your favorite Christmas tradition growing up. How easy right? I'll draw a name out of the hat and announce the winner this Friday, the 20th, which will leave you plenty of time, as well. The 12 days starts on Dec 13th. Get ready to start what will surely become your favorite Christmas tradition for years to come.


The Giveaway is closed. I'm so excited to get you the book, Gayl. I love you both and wish I had had two books to give! 


Facebook Email rss feed

Comments

  1. Wow, Stacey! Thank you so much for the plug! Very nice! I'm very grateful. I'll post this on fb!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! We are doing things a little differently this year since the kids are older. I am interested to see what she has to say plus I will be checking out her blog. She sounds like someone I need to read more from. As for a favorite growing up... my favorite was always making the trip to my grandmother's house in Louisiana. I remember the food more than anything else. Roasted chicken, blackeyed peas, buttermilk pie.... mercy, I miss her! Thanks for sharing this book with us :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was Mississippi for us! Every year all the families would come together and there would be 19 of us in one three bedroom house. Great fun!

      Delete
  3. This does sound like a lovely idea, Stacey, for the 12 days leading up to Christmas. In our family we start the 12 days of Christmas on Christmas Day ending on Epiphany. Our church is Anglican and we follow the church calendar, but I think this book can be used whether you count the 12 days before or after Christmas! :) When I was child, my favorite tradition was that we opened presents from the family on Christmas Eve so they wouldn't get mixed up with what Santa left overnight. Of course when I was older I knew, but it was still fun for a kid. We also were reminded that the real meaning was the birth of Jesus.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, no matter what days I think the idea is lovely. Our Santa gifts were not wrapped but always set out in front of the tree with the wrapped gifts underneath the tree. That's how we distinguished between the two. :D

      Delete
  4. An anonymous person did this for one of my friends this Christmas. My friend posted each day's blessing on Facebook. It was fun for all of us to follow along and it also helped remind me to pray each day for her and her family as her husband has just re-deployed.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts