Why you need to learn to change a car tire.

A few summers ago, on my way to a rare outing with other women, I hit a curb and got a flat tire. My excuse is that I was looking at tornado destruction. Even living here my eye was caught and my head turned. So did the wheel, on a curve, and the tire popped.

I'm a proponent of everyone being able to change their own tire because a flat tire leaves a person vulnerable. But it had been a while since I had pulled that jack out, and I stared at it completely at a loss as to how to get it into a usable form. As the car pulled up next to me in the parking lot I had rolled into, I realized my mistake.


Let me say, the very first thing I did when I pulled into that parking lot was to call my hubby. You can call anyone, but call someone. Not necessarily for help, but to let them know where you are and what you are doing. Sure, you can then call triple A or a tow truck but call someone you trust first. 

When I called Captain he insisted on coming to change the tire and let me have the truck, because he's sweet and kind like that. But when the car pulled up I was staring at the jack questioning myself. Thankfully it was a kind person who helped me with the jack and then actually drove away. Being able to tell him someone was on their way was helpful, but being able to take over from that point on the car was the best.


Do you know how to change a tire on your car? If not, learn. Here's a video you can watch, but I am sure there are people you can ask to show you how one afternoon as well. Make a party out of it. Bring a bunch of friends together and get one of their husbands, boyfriends, or just a friend who knows how to teach the rest of you. Maybe you wont have to rely on yourself to change it, but wont it be lovely to know you can?

And PS. practice every once in a while. You never know when you might find yourself standing in a parking lot staring at the jack as a guy in a car drives up.

Comments

Popular Posts