September 21, 2015

A skill learned in a blog class can inspire life change.

For the past two weeks I haven't posted, but I have been working on my blog. I have to say, this class I just finished up helped to create more change on my blog than most of the other classes I have ever taken. I loved the way Daniela formatted the class, and I have no doubt the other classes she has at her "Have Your Cupcake" website are just as good. One day I may find out personally, but I do suggest Blogging on Your Own Terms which she seems to offer quite frequently.

One thing that her class led me into is being aware of how time is spent. She gives you one assignment and only asks for 15 minutes, but there were days I would spend more time getting something done. Having to focus on one step each day allowed me to fully invest there and let the rest go for another time. I didn't worry about how much time was spent, but that my step was done.


In Sunday School yesterday they were going over a few verses in Chapter 5 of Ephesians and they focused on something I hadn't really seen before. Verses 15 and 16 say (KJV) "See then that you walk circumspectly, not as fools, but as wise, redeeming the time because the days are evil." The discussion centered on how to "walk circumspectly" and  "redeem the time."

We all struggle with how to divide up our days and get everything done, and yet I don't think there's one of us who wouldn't admit to wasting some time every day. I'm not talking about resting, or taking a break, but procrastinating something you should be doing and doing something which really doesn't matter at the moment. Some days we do better than others, but recently I had fallen into the trap of doing badly on a regular basis.

This idea of redeeming the time really struck me yesterday, and Captain and I both made changes in our schedule to try to do just that. What once worked for me, breaking things into small time periods, no longer did. It's too easy for me to procrastinate something that will "only" take 15 minutes. Not everything we changed is a big change, hardly anything will be noticed by others, but what I was doing wasn't working so I had to try something else. Now I'm working on being job focused rather than time focused, though they do tend to go hand in hand to a degree, don't they? I'll give it a few weeks and see how it is going, then readjust if necessary.


That's the way of life, isn't it? Some days taking small bites out of something works, and some days we need to hunker down and spend as much time as necessary to get something done. What's important to me is knowing I am spending my time wisely, not like a fool.

What is something you do to help you spend your time wisely each day?

Facebook Email rss feed

4 comments:

  1. Hi Stacey,
    The link from facebook worked for me. I love the changes you've made. This post was pertinent to me. In regard to your last question, there's a free time management pdf online called The Pomodoro Technique. It's been very helpful to me. Enjoy your week!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Terri. I'll have to check that out. :)

      Delete
  2. It's beautiful, Stacey!! Great job.
    And I am with you on the time wasting thing. A good reminder about different seasons- so often I get caught up in feeling like a failure without focusing on the simple fact that it is just different. Having the kids back on a school schedule has helped. This summer felt too chaotic. Thankful to be back to some regular scheduling!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie. And I do well with some type of schedule as well, as long as it's flexible. LOL :D

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...