July 31, 2015

These slay me. Want to know the truth?

There are a few things when said by others which make me cringe. I understand that we have different beliefs, and I get that we wont always agree on things. But that's not the case with everything, and these three sayings make me want to scream at the top of my voice. These three things... gah. They slay me.

these are not true

But then I ask myself, does it even matter?

Here's why I say yes. We live in a world which believes what makes us feel good is better than the truth. We close our eyes to horrible things and imagine a better world. As long as we keep doing this our lives will continue to run amok, be off course, and others will be able to do whatever they want. While these three statements above don't seem to cause any harm, the idea "it doesn't matter if it's really true or not because it makes me feel good" causes great harm.

1. "There are 365 'Do not fear's in the Bible"

Here's a search on Bible Gateway of "Do not fear". Go ahead and try it in any version you want. The number will not be anywhere near 365. Even if you add "do not be afraid" the number barely goes over 120. 

What you are missing out on: each and every time we are told not to be afraid is an amazing story of God comforting his people, teaching lessons, and wonderful take aways for us. If you focus on the false number it does nothing for your faith. If you dig in and look at the examples your faith can be greatly strengthened. I've only gone through 40, and these are my take aways, but this might be a good place for you to start if you truly are dealing with fear in your life.

2. "God wont give us more than we can handle."

I think the verse people are thinking (wrongly) of for this thought is 1 Corinthians 10:13 "No temptation has overtaken you except what is common to mankind. And God is faithful; he will not let you be tempted beyond what you can bear. But when you are tempted, he will also provide a way out so that you can endure it." Not being tempted is very different than not being able to handle something. 

What you are missing out on: God. If you think you can handle whatever comes your way in this life then you will never learn how to rely on God to get you through things. You will never know the strength only He can give. You will miss out on the comfort and peace which He brings us. You will try to do it on your own, and then feel like a failure because sometimes this life is too much for us. Sometimes it is more than we can handle. But then, that's when we learn to rely on God more fully.

3. "God helps those who help themselves."

While our deeds show our faith, God never tells us to pull up our bootstraps and get to work so that He can help us. In fact, Jesus said He came to bring freedom to prisoners, give sight to the blind, and release the oppressed. Those groups can not help themselves but are dependent on Him to do those things.

What you are missing out on: I think this is very similar to the second statement in that thinking God will only help us if we help ourselves makes it feel as if we are in charge. That God comes alongside us. But we are to come alongside Him. And there are times we can do nothing for ourselves, but we are not without hope because what God can do does not depend on what we can do.


choose truth

I have believed things that weren't true because it made me feel good. We all have at one time or another. But lately I simply balk at that idea. I want to know when my beliefs are wrong and false. I want to research what I am told to find the truth. Whether it's about gun control, abortion, what the Bible does or does not say, or the idea we can appease war away, there is truth and there is falsehood, and it has nothing to do with how we feel about it.

4 comments:

  1. AMEN AMEN AMEN! Stacey this is great and so important. Your explanations for refuting those statements are right on. Thanks for speaking out! Blessings to you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this. Thank you for these amazing reminders.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...