July 20, 2015

It's time to speak up.

I went to a martial arts/self-defense conference last week. On Thursday five servicemen were slaughtered at a Recruiters station. Gunned down with no way to defend themselves. It broke my heart and filled my own stati on Facebook. But it didn't fill my news feed. Why not? Five men. Innocently gunned down. They already sacrificed so much by committing to the military, and hardly a word was said about their deaths at the hand of a terrorist. At least, not in comparison to so many other deaths recently.

speak up

I don't get it, friends. Those of you who recently marched in the streets, wrote blog posts, and shared your opinions. What are you doing now? Why does it seem you are doing nothing?
***

I went to a martial arts/self-defense conference last week. I learned new techniques on how to defend myself, and deal with issues. I learned de-escalation and restraint techniques. But on Friday the conference organizers didn't say anything about what happened. There was no moment of silence. The subject and tragic loss of these five men did not come up, even though the tragedy occured because they couldn't defend themselves.


That's easy for him to say when he works at the Pentagon rather than a strip mall. And these men, those who serve to protect our country, they know how to handle a gun, thankyouverymuch, sir. I appreciate his response may have been one crafted above him and sent down, and he may simply have been the scapegoat whose desk the message landed on. I hate that for him if that is the case.

***

I went to a martial arts/self-defense conference last week. They didn't talk about how the military are being hunted. Those that wear the uniform are being told not to wear it because it puts them in greater danger. Is that their only defense? To be careful about what they wear? Make no mistake, even out of uniform our soldiers are recognized and noticed. When are we, the people the military defends, going to stand with them and help them have a defense? When are we going to march in outrage at the lack of protection our service members receive? When are we going to write posts saying...

Time to arm

When? 

Because I think now is the time we should. 

***

I went to a conference about martial arts and self defense last week. Maybe you wrote something about the military and their individual defense, and I simply missed it. I wasn't able to be online as much as I normally am. It could happen. I would love to read your posts, and share them. Please share them with me so that I can. I'm grateful we have some Governor's that are at least giving a defense to their National Guardsmen. But still so many are defenseless

It's time to let our military fully defend themselves.


4 comments:

  1. I think it is a crying shame that not a single comment has been posted to this awesome blog! Amen from beginning to end. We spent 20 years in the Air Force, 15 years of that on foreign soil. We left our home and families behind. We took 2 little boys with us when we left. Only 1 came home, our oldest killed in a car accident when he was 3 weeks from 19 years old. Many say, don't rock the boat. They have no idea what they are talking about. They have never been there, but they would not have those freedoms they take for granted so easily if it were not all the soldiers that have given up their personal lives to serve something bigger than themselves. Soldiers are all willing to give their lives in defense of their country, but they should never, ever have to be gunned down on their own soil, just going about their everyday business, simply because they had no means to protect themselves. Thanks for speaking up for our men and women in the military. It is time for some outrage!!! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thank you Debbie. My heart is for the military for a variety of reasons, so I will fight for them. It's just so crazy.

      Delete
  2. I've been in the woods my friend and just had time to read this... honestly I'm appalled. We heard a day later because of our off the grid-ness but nevertheless...only YESTERDAY were flags lowered to half mast and yet all the rage, all the outrage and all the pontificating on everyone else's cause/behalf and these men are nearly dismissed. I'm sad. Just spent the better half of two days touring sites and sounds of what has made our country what it is.. but sadly in important ways it "ain't what it was" either. Some say that's all good. I say we've thrown babies out with the bathwater and we're a long, long way from home. Thanks Stacey You are right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3 I know you had a fabulous trip, and honestly I'm glad it wasn't "ruined" by all of this. I'm glad you were able to experience the area without the political crud that goes on within it. No one will say anything, or do anything, and too many people take our military and the sacrifices they make for granted.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...