August 13, 2014

Job

{I had to learn humility/control from the book of Job for the belt test I took last Saturday. 
I thought I would share with y'all what I shared there.}

As I read through Job I honestly became bogged down in so much of what was said. Job's friends, Job himself, and Elihu said so much. Some was truth and some wasn't. They made accusations against Job stating his sin was the cause of his troubles, and he defended himself saying he hadn't done anything to deserve what happened. I realized what his friends were doing is human nature for all of us. We want to connect dots. We want things to make sense. If we can blame someone for their hardships, then we can keep it from happening to us. And just like Job many of us ask "why me" when hardships come because we don't think we did anything to deserve them. This is a false sense of control trying to place ourselves in a position of power over our own lives.

I can only interpret and understand Job by what the rest of the Bible says, so I went to look at a couple of other parts of the Bible this story reminded me of. First is Matthew 5:45 which says the sun rises on the evil and good, and it rains on the just and unjust. Jesus is saying that good and bad things happen to good and bad people. Then I looked at the story of the blind man in John 9. The disciples asked Jesus whose sin had caused this man's blindness, but Jesus replied no one's. He said it happened so that the works of God might be displayed through this man. While I know there are stories where death, destruction, sickness, and pain come about due to sin that is not the understanding of what happened to Job. God told Satan there was "no one on earth like Job; He said Job was blameless and upright, a man who feared God and shunned evil." But, according to Romans 3:10, we also know no one is righteous. The law, which Job worked so hard to follow, does not make us righteous. Rather, as Romans 3:28 tells us, we are justified by faith apart from the works of the law.

Considering all of this, I took another look at Job, what everyone said, how the story ends, and how the works of God were displayed in this story. This is what I saw: while Job was blameless in his actions, nothing he did made him righteous. His friends accused him of causing all the horrible things which happened by sinning, and Job defended himself telling of all the good things he had done. When God finally speaks He tells them of all the things He, God, has done. God asked who else could do all He has done. It wasn't Job's sacrifices or good deeds which made him righteous. In the end Job says, "My ears had heard of you but now my eyes have seen you." I believe this is Job realizing the truth and understanding he was righteous only because God made him so.

The same is true for us. My actions will never prove my righteousness. Rather,it is God who makes me righteous and out of that I should live.

Humility is the modest estimation or opinion of one's own importance. Like Job's friends I have learned that while I can plan for the future, my actions do not control what happens next. Good and bad things alike will happen. And like Job I am reminded that regardless of how good I am, I can never be good enough to claim myself righteous. God alone has such control and gifts me my righteousness.


I would love for you to join the conversation through 
Facebook, Twitter, my email, or in the comment section.

2 comments:

  1. "And like Job I am reminded that regardless of how good I am, I can never be good enough to claim myself righteous. God alone has such control and gifts me my righteousness." So well said, Stacey! And our worth doesn't rest in what we do. If it did I'm afraid none of us would "measure up." But God in His love has given us life and made us righteous. What a blessing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...