April 2, 2014

What are you telling people over the phone?

I got a phone call today. It was the same number which had been calling and hanging up for weeks. Weeks, friends. I finally decided to answer and maybe put an end to this. I'm not certain if I am glad I answered or not.

The girl claimed to be a rep for Home Depot, and said she wanted to give us a gift card for filling out a survey. A $20 gift card. Now, friends, $20 in my hand is a lovely thing, but I don't remember filling out a survey. But I thought... maybe Captain did.

The caller went on with her monologue.

"The only condition for the gift card is that you watch a video. The Mr. and you... is there a Mr.?"

Now, she made a mistake didn't she? If I thought HE filled it out why would she be asking about that? I gave a quick "yes" and kept listening but with each word my guard kept rising. With each moment on the phone I thought there was something simply wrong with the phone call.

Would you like to know how I was supposed to receive the said gift card and watch the said video? They were going to send someone out to my house.

No. Really.

At this point I listened to my instinct and interrupted. I told her no, it's not going to happen, we are not interested.

She didn't try to convince me otherwise. She simply said thank you and hung up.

Now, I couldn't find anything about this online, and honestly I did NOT call Home Depot to find out if this was a legitimate situation or not. Even if it was legitimate I did NOT want someone coming to my house so I could view a video. That is crazy to me.

So, if you get a phone call, whether you think it is legit or not, consider the information you give out, and the feeling you have about the whole thing. Because that free gift card? SO NOT WORTH IT. Especially if it turns out to be a scam or puts my family in a dangerous situation.

I have never had a sales person hang up so quickly. That's all I'm sayin'.

Update to this

I would love for you to join the conversation through 
Facebook, Twitter, my email, or in the comment section.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...