April 18, 2014

Turn Your Eyes Upon Jesus

  1. << the hymn and its history >>

  2. Helen Lemmel was born in 1863 but lived most of her life in America. She suffered many hardships, including losing her sight in midlife, which also accounted for her husband leaving her.

She was an accomplished musician teaching at the Moody Bible Institute, the Bible Institute of LA, and composing over 500 songs. The inspiration for this particular hymn came from a tract a friend handed her. She said when she heard the line within the tract it was as if the notes and words simply came to her unbidden and unplanned. It was originally published in England as a pamphlet, but soon included in a volume of her works to become a favorite hymn for many.

  1. << the hymn and me >>

  2. I will be honest with you. The morning of this writing was a heavy one for me. When I was looking through the hymnal I was looking for a hymn that gave me hope. One that I could fall back on. While it didn't come to me directly, when I saw the words on the page I remembered all the times it had.

    Some days are harder than others, and some days life seems so heavy I can't get past it. I'm aware that the original tract was to not be blinded to the best by the good, but for me I need to be blinded to the hard by the best sometimes. This song helps me remember to do it. For when the day is heavy and I have a hard day, I just remember to keep my eyes on Jesus. He will guide me, help me, and love me. It might not make the day any better, but it helps me get through it a little easier.

  3. << the hymn >>



  1. O soul, are you weary and troubled?
    No light in the darkness you see?
    There’s light for a look at the Savior,
    And life more abundant and free!
    • Chorus:
      Turn your eyes upon Jesus,
      Look full in His wonderful face,
      And the things of earth will grow strangely dim,
      In the light of His glory and grace.
  2. Through death into life everlasting
    He passed, and we follow Him there;
    O’er us sin no more hath dominion—
    For more than conqu’rors we are!
  3. (Chorus)
  4. His Word shall not fail you—He promised;
    Believe Him, and all will be well:
    Then go to a world that is dying,
    His perfect salvation to tell!
  5. (Chorus)
    Words and Music by Helen Lemmel

I would love for you to join the conversation through 
Facebook, Twitter, my email, or in the comment section.

2 comments:

  1. I think this was intended for me today. Thank you for writing t through the heavy times and sharing. Such a great chorus to have in my head instead of what's been there all day.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...