Just as I am

<< the hymn and its history >>

"You would give yourself to God just as you are now, with your fightings and fears, hates and loves, pride and shame."

With such words the author of this poet gave in to the Love of Christ. Charlotte Elliott was older at the time and very much embittered due to the circumstances in life. She railed against God, her family, and anyone within ear shot on a regular basis. She was completely unhappy. But through a conversation with Dr. Cesar Malan these words were spoken to her and she began to live life differently.

Charlotte wrote about 150 hymns in her 82 years, and this one was originally written as a poem which raised money for a school for the children of poor clergymen. It became one of the most famous invitational hymns in history.

<< the hymn and me >>

We don't sing invitational hymns as often anymore, do we? Or maybe it depends on the church service you attend. The one we currently go to is much more contemporary, and there is no invitational hymn. A time of prayer while the pastor continues to speak occurs instead.

I remember growing up this hymn was sung so very often at the end of the service. The number of verses sang depended on how much time the pastor asked for up front. I always loved singing this hymn and I truly meant it as I sang it. I'm pretty sure I went through a period of self-righteousness where I didn't think I needed this song, but I am wiser now and know that more than ever what I need to believe is that I can come to Jesus just as I am, with all my "fightings and fears within, without."

<< the hymn >>



Just as I am, without one plea,
But that Thy blood was shed for me,
And that Thou bidst me come to Thee,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come!

Just as I am, and waiting not
To rid my soul of one dark blot;
To Thee whose blood can cleanse each spot,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come!

Just as I am though tossed about
With many a conflict, many a doubt,
Fightings and fears withing, without,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come!

Just as I am, Though wilt receive,
Wilt welcome, pardon, cleanse, relieve.
Because they promise I believe,
O Lamb of God, I come, I come!

I would love for you to join the conversation through 
Facebook, Twitter, my email, or in the comment section.

Comments

  1. This song is engraved on my soul. Like you, Sunday after Sunday I heard it at the end of every service. But what made it special was the day I chose to become lost to the world and Found in Jesus. Love the words: Just as I am. Says it all, we meet Him with faults and fears and He is there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yep! I hate that so often we make it seem we have to fit a certain standard. Or maybe that's simply what I do to myself!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts