March 20, 2014

I Love to Tell the Story

<< the hymn and history >>

She wrote. Words were set down and she wrote.

Katherine Hankey was thirty when she became ill. The doctors during that time sent her to bed for a full year. Her life had been full of activity up to this point. She organized and taught a bible study for girls, traveled to Africa to help her sick brother home, and devoted her proceeds from her writing to missionary work. And then she became ill and was told to remain in bed for a year.

"To occupy her time, Kate wrote a poem of one hundred stanzas entitled 'The Old, Old Story.'" Parts of this poem have been quoted in sermons, and turned into hymns. Both "The Old, Old Story" and "I Love to Tell the Story" came from this poem.

<< the hymn and me >>

I had no idea these two hymns were connected in such a way. It amazes me, because I can't imagine writing such a piece. It is inspirational in so many ways. From her heart, to when she wrote it, to how it was used.

I remember singing this hymn in church when I was a young girl. Always a story lover this song was close to my heart. I must admit to knowing it with the chorus as the video plays it. I couldn't find a video that played all four verses straight.

<< the hymn >>



I love to tell the story of unseen things above,
Of Jesus and His glory, of Jesus and His love.
I love to tell the story because I know 'tis true,
It satisfies my longings as nothing else can do.

I love to tell the story, more wonderful it seems
thank all the golden fancies of all our golden dreams.
I love to tell the story, it did so much for me;
And that is just the reason I tell it now to thee.

I love to tell the story, 'tis pleasant to repeat
What seems, each time I tell it, more wonderfully sweet.
I love to tell the story, for some have never heard
the message of salvation from God's own holy Word.

I love to tell the story, for those who know it best
Seem hungering and thirsting to hear it like the rest.
And when in scenes of glory I sing the new, new song
'Twill be the old, old story that I have loved so long.
Words: A Katherine Hankey, Music: William G. Fischer

I would love for you to join the conversation through 
Facebook, Twitter, my email, or in the comment section.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...