It is a good and helpful habit to recognize real fear.

My goal is never to cause you to live in fear. In fact, it is my belief the more truth you know the more sound your thinking will be. I want you to know the truth. I want you to be aware. I want you to live in a way where you are free and willing to do what you love. I do not want you to lock yourself in your home fearing to step outside, coming up with a variety of scenarios that "might" happen.

But sometimes my best intentions fail miserably, and I know that. So, before we go any further it is important for you to know fear we contrive will actually keep us from recognizing true fear which can save us. If you see something in every shadow you wont realize when someone is actually there hiding.


I used to lay in bed at night thinking of a thousand different horrifying possibilities that could happen. I thought about how I would get out of the situation, or fight back, or defend those I love. The fear I lived under, along with the false sense of being a hero, was contrived by me. It did nothing to truly save me, nor did it prepare me for anything that might happen.

This is where the lies are. We think worrying, fretting, and fictitious planning will prepare us, but it doesn't. The fear we create only causes us to live fearfully, and God does not want that for us. He told us He didn't give us a spirit of fear, but one of power. So know, when I talk about self-defense I am not doing so in order for you to live in fear. Never would that be my intention, and that is actually the opposite of what I hope to achieve. Rather I want you to learn how to protect yourself so you can live in the power God has given you.


In the same token, God has given you the ability to sense something isn't right even if you don't know what is wrong. You know that feeling in your gut? God created you to feel that so you can be wary when you need to. We can call it "true fear" but it's a warning system which must be listened to. This is why we stay away from certain people, avoid places we don't feel right about, and take a friend when you just know you need to. This is the fear in our life which is helpful. This is the fear in our life that helps us live safer, when we choose to listen to it.

A great resource on this subject is The Gift of Fear by Gaven De Becker.

Comments

  1. "Life will not always be safe"...oh my! I so wish I would have grasped that the truth is that those six words do not have to be combined with fear and anxiety. I was never taught coping skills so all I was really left with was control issues :). See, if I could "control" EVERY situation, then I would not have to fear the unknown.
    I am so SO thankful that Jesus is a gentle teacher and is showing me how to have NO control at all. A sometimes SLOWWWWWW but steady lesson!
    Beautiful words as usual :).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna. And yes, that is my goal. No fear or anxiety. :D

      Delete
  2. This is such a powerful, clear post. I could take the ideas here and probably write 10 books off of them.
    All I could think as I was reading was, "preach it, sister." HAHA - which isn't really the tone of the post but it so vibrantly resonated with how I think and feel.

    Hallee

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'll take all the "preach it, sister"'s you are willing to give. :D Thanks for dropping in!

      Delete
  3. THIS -> '' There is no promise to prosperity regardless of how hard you work. '' AND THIS --> ''Oh, how I wish I could tell you that life will be peaches and cream all the time.'' Two lines that could sum up my life thus far! Thank you for the beautifully honest post. I live to tell others as many truths as I can. And the most important of them all is that of CHOICE. if only people could learn how to make them..life would be so much sweeter. I was blessed by this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Anna Marie. I appreciate you dropping in.

      Delete
  4. So many choices can overwhelm each day unless you stay focused on Jesus for sure! Then when the unsafe stuff comes in we know who to turn to!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh how I love this! Yes - we so think we WANT life to always be safe... preplanned and predictable - with just a dash of exciting and adventure... but how how He has a better plan! Choose Life... every day... and live it out loud! Visiting from our (in)couraging writers fb group!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for spurring us on with this encouragement. May it be so.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Choose to trust now are wise and (in)couraging words. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Clicking over from the (in)couraging writers group and I love this introduction to you and your blog - although I have been here a few times before ;) - it's nice to see the post that you chose to represent yourself. It's a beautiful call to life, action, and accountability.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Rebekah! Thanks for leaving a thought. It was hard to choose! :)

      Delete
  9. stacy... love your boldness. to offer truth up. to hold god up clearly to be seen. you encourage and prod me. xo --kris (plantedoak.com)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Your words are gracious, so thank you. So much.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts