September 25, 2013

Actually, there are no super powers to take-out danger.

My mom and sister came to one of the first self-defense classes taught by my taekwondo school Much laughter ensued, we had a great time, and they walked away learning a few techniques on how to protect themselves. On the way home we got into a discussion about how we were raised, and my sister said she has always been very wary even before taking any classes. My mom said the same thing. I sat for a minute and realized that what I had before my classes was a false sense of security.





Oh, I thought I paid attention, and I did to some extent, but I also thought I could take care of myself. I thought there wouldn't be a problem if someone tried to attack me. The truth of the matter is there were too many times to count when I put myself in a dangerous situation, and only by the grace of God did I get out without harm.

I believe I thought of myself as some type of super hero;powers to do whatever needed to be done, knowledge to take the person out, and technique no one could beat. I'll admit: I still want to be a super hero. Who doesn't want to be able to make people tell the truth like Wonder Woman, or kick butt like the Black Widow? I imagined myself as someone who, when the need arose, would be able to do the same thing.

I guess I thought it was...natural?


But I have since learned it's not. Or maybe, the adrenaline rush is, but knowing what to do can make the difference on how the situation ends. I have learned so much in my taekwondo classes and the various self-defense classes I have attended, and I know there is still more to learn. I could learn for a lifetime, but if we don't realize we need to learn it, then we never will. And I know I'm not the only one who has ever thought or still thinks they can handle themselves, even if they haven't been trained or taught any techniques.

So, my questions for who I used to be and who you may still be is this: why is it self-defense is an area we think is going to come naturally for us? Why aren't we willing to realize learning a few techniques could possibly give us the advantage in a situation? 

4 comments:

  1. I've never changed a tire! Sad, I l know. I've depended on the men in my life in that regard. I wrote a post that included my last experience with a flat tire - you might enjoy it. :-) http://adventuresintheballpark.blogspot.com/2012/08/what-i-did-on-my-summer-vacation.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I loved your story. And I know how easy it is to let other people take care of it. I felt a little guilty when Capt took care of mine, but I DID go to lunch. Knowing how to do it and doing it are two things, but knowing how helps you when you need it. ;)

      Delete
  2. I think I've changed a tire once, in the presence of my husband, in the driveway, just so I could learn how to. But that was a long time ago and I've forgotten. I'd feel vulnerable alone on the side of the road, regardless if I knew how to change a tire or was waiting for a good Samaritan to help me. Regardless, I am going to ask him to give me a refresher course! Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah!! I'm so glad. And one thing I learned is that the lug nuts heat up when driving, which is why my jack didn't work with them. I am getting new lug nuts so I don't have to worry about them expanding in the future. Bad building process on those.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...