Dear mama friend,

I just had to drop a note. You have been reading the blogs of mama's with little ones, and you have been watching them encourage each other and support one another. Sometimes you think it's too late, don't you. I understand, because sometimes I think that myself.

They are grown or nearly there. There is no more cuddle on the couch when you watch Sesame Street. You remember Veggie Tales fondly, but it's not the same anymore. You feel as if you are growing out of the role of "mama" but let me tell you something important: you never will.

Yes, life changes and relationships change. You eventually stop changing diapers, helping with homework, making meals, and holding hands while going to the park to swing for hours. But you will do different things you never imagined. Planning weddings, giving advice as they start out on their own, helping them find their first place - and many many more. Our name is the same, our goal is the same, we just go about it differently now.

Sometimes we mourn the fact that our little ones are not so little anymore, even while we know it is as it should be and we wouldn't want it any other way. Sometimes we get caught in the circle of wishing we had done things differently or wishing we had just one more shot to get it right. I understand.

But hear me, mama friend.

You did the best you could when your babes were babes. You loved them and took care of them. You survived and so did they. We all have moments we wish we could do over, but instead of being shamed by them be glad you now see them. Be glad you have grown from that point. Be glad for all the moments still coming where you will react differently because you are not that person anymore. And be glad, my friend, for all the times you have in your heart of hugs, kisses, laughter, time, and peace. Focus on them. Remember them.

No, we are no longer mamas of babes. Our babes are grown or nearly will be. But you will always be a mama. So stop looking back at where we were, and start moving forward into the new stage. Embrace it. Enjoy it. Experience it. And make more memories to store in your heart for another day.

Comments

  1. You know my heart on this. I wrestle with God's angel often because now that I'm out here and I see what can be done and how the mommies encourage one another I wish that I'd had this so I could have done better. But you know and I know that we were both born for such a time as THIS....whenever God thought best. It's not much different than a woman born in the washboard age wishing she'd been able to get her laundry as clean as the one born today with a HE set. We all do the best we can with what we've been given and those who fail while trying are those who care enough to love and keep trying. Thanks my dear.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love you Loretta. Yes, we share the same heart here.

      Delete
  2. Thank you, Stacey. Your words really hit home today. This is something I have been struggling with. It's not an easy transition. ((hugs))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It can be difficult, yes. Know I'm praying for you as we both walk through it.

      Delete
  3. Oh, so beautiful and moving. Yes, we'll always be the mama, maybe not of babes, but still mama. Now, I understand my mother so much better.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes. I agree. Understanding does come with experience. I'm trying to follow many of the awesome examples my mom is leaving for me.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts