A little project done with the mom!

Last week our storm buddies move. Yes, our neighbors relocated to a place they loved and were hoping for, and I'm so glad for them. The last day they were moving items out they let me know that if I wanted anything they left I could take it. I thought that was very sweet of them. I really don't have a lot of room inside the house, so I didn't give it much thought. Then, on my way to taekwondo last Saturday, it hit me: the old wooden bench they left on the side of the house. Oh yes, I wanted that. Captain wasn't too sure, my mom was excited, and on Tuesday we got to work. Here's what the original looked like.

20130817_183423

Mom and I took the entire thing apart. As it was missing most of its screws it didn't take long to have everything laying on the garage floor. Our first item of business was to go to the store and pick up replacement screws, sandpaper/sander, paints, stain, brushes, and rust remover. The first day we sanded and stained the boards and cleaned the iron. Nothing was too hard, or a lot of work, and it was fun doing it with mom. The second day we taped the tarp to the side of the house and painted the iron. Now, I knew I wanted turquoise, and Captain really wasn't sure about that, but I just knew it would look great. Mom was more than generous and great, and as we waited for the paint to dry we put in flowers in the front flower bed. Remember those moss rose I place in spring. They didn't quite make it to the end of Summer. Then, we put it all together screwing everything in place. And here is the final result.

IMG_20130820_150926

I don't think I can quite explain how happy this makes me, and how much I smile when I see it, and how often I plan to drink coffee in this spot. The sun is coming up later these days, so even after I write it wont me miserable hot out there. It's lovely. Here's a few shots of how the porch looks and part of my garden area.

IMG_20130820_154706   IMG_20130820_154751

And Captain and youngest both seem to be quite happy with the end results. Now, you should know another project was preempted by this one, and so next week I get to clean out this mess.

next project

WHO needs this many coffee mugs???? Apparently me.

Comments

  1. Looks like the absolute perfect coffee drinking spot, Stacey. Love the color tones -- blue and brown. Something about it ... Beautiful garden.
    The coffee mugs, you're set to host a coffee party. :)
    Nice of you to have taken the people in after the storm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, it was during the storm really, and there are some things you simply don't think about. Huge tornado? Come hide. LOL ;D

      Thanks for the sweet compliments on my area. Maybe I should have a coffee party on my porch. :D

      Delete
  2. That looks GREAT! I saw you post the picture on FB before, but for some reason, I thought the turquoise was the before picture and I was thinking "What on EARTH is she going to do with it? It already looks cute!" lol

    Also, everyone needs that many mugs.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL Thanks!! I'm glad you think it's as cute as can be now. :D

      Only if you are coming to drink coffee with me.

      Delete
  3. Love, Love, Love your project! and my coffee cup collection is a bit like yours- there's only two of us in the house now, but we have travel mugs, gifted mugs, christmas mugs..... you name it we got it. I thin it out every now and again, but the darn things keep multiplying on me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My mom refuses to let anymore in unless the same number go out. I think there is wisdom to that, BUT I have to figure out how to whittle it down first! LOL They are like dustbunnies!!

      Delete
  4. Love the bench! I love to upcycle and re-do. Donate the mugs!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, yes, I will donate those I don't keep. Definitely! I already talked to Captain so that he knows he will have to go through his this week as well. :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts