Summer Strawberry Surprise Cake

As I was perusing Pinterest a week ago I crossed paths with Bird's Strawberry Cake With Lemon Filling. It looked really yummy and I knew I simply had to try it out. I had the opportune time when making dinner for some friends.

I ended up following the recipe they share here fairly closely, but instead of one and a third cup of water I used milk, I added some blueberries (literally dropped in to the batter in the cake pan) and I used canned lemon pie filling rather than their homemade version, though the reviews for that simply rave about how good it is. The cup cakes blueberries sunk to the bottom, but the cakes stayed at the top. I am sure there is some scientific explanation for this occurrence, but either way they tasted good.

20130607_193240

Let me say, the final product was delicious! I would put a little thicker layer of lemon filling if/when I make it again, and I will only use cool whip as the top layer. (I tried the spray whipped topping and it simply gets icky when it sits for too long. Don't make that mistake.) Everyone who tried it really loved it, and my hubby said it tasted store bought.

I couldn't be happier!

Comments

  1. Oh, that looks so good. I'm glad I just had lunch or I'd have grabbed something sweet right now. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts