June 18, 2013

I'm challenging myself!

Yesterday I went to the library. I picked up three boy movies, without them there to influence me. I think their voices were simply in my head saying "yes" or "no" to the options. I also picked up three books on decluttering, and threatened my closets on facebook. It was just a giggle but when my friend responded with, "The closets will wait to shudder in terror until you have finished the books. Reading about decluttering is sometimes not the same as actually decluttering. lol" I laughed even harder. She was so right. Reading about it and doing it are TWO different things and so often I am just a reader. But not this time.

Of the three books I picked up, one I am not needing anymore, another I haven't yet picked up, but the third I have already read the first chapter and am working on the first assignment. Assignment? Yep. See, this book is a little different than most I pick up on the subject. What really drew me in was this on the back.

  Take the U out of Clutter

"This may not be the first book you've read about clutter, but it will be your last. Other 'organizting systems' fail because they focus on the clutter -- but clutter itself is not the culprit. We have trouble getting rid of clutter, not because we are overly attached to our belongings, but because we are attached to the stories we tell about our possessions. Do these sound familiar?
'I might need this someday.'
'I've had this since I was a child.'
'That was given to me. I'd feel guilty if I got rid of it.'
'This isn't clutter; it's a collection.'

Some might see these as excuses, but they are actually unfinished stories that deserve to be told. Once your stories are recounted and resolved, it's easy to clear away unwanted clutter."
It had me at "stories." 

So, the first assignment was to take pictures of your clutter and define what clutter is to you. It's funny because I took pictures of everything in my house on May 20th just in case I needed it for insurance reasons. Taking this set of pictures was different, but I knew EXACTLY where to go for each shot. Now, I'm not saying this is better or worse than anyone else. What I am saying is these pictures are pictures of clutter in my house. And what is clutter to me?

CLUTTER: where things take over a space and you avoid it rather than face the things

I will be honest, I am excited about this book and these assignments, and where I will be at the end of the 255 pages. I don't know how often it will pop up in the blog, but I thought keeping it here rather than a journal would be fun. Crazy? Whichever, I'm not supposed to stress about the clutter spots right now. You see, I COULD go in and fix these areas, but I'm sure they would end back the same because these are my weak spots. No amount of organizing, cleaning, straightening, planning, or boxing seem to help me for a long time. I keep coming back to an area where the things have taken over, and I turn around and face the other way instead.

So, closets... I may just be reading right now, but I'm thinking you do have reason to shudder in terror. Or maybe you can't wait to breathe in relief.  

8 comments:

  1. I am really excited about this series, Stacey! stories behind my clutter? fascinatingly true now that i think about it. Can't wait to read about this adventure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks sweetie! I'm excited about the book too. :)

      Delete
  2. Looks like a great book! Most of my clutter is paper clutter, and I really hate tackling that!! I simply hate filing, because my system isn't the best.. I lose things when I file them! ;)

    I love the idea of stories behind the clutter, too. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you see my boxes? I have NO IDEA what is in them! LOL I totally understand.

      Delete
  3. I made my way back here from today's post (25th) to see what was going on. My life has been so crazy and this is definitely on my mind because I had to put EVERY SINGLE THING I OWN in a box and haul it one van load at a time then carry it UP STAIRS!!! Ugh! Too much stuff! I need to catch may way up through this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yes! Moving makes you declutter. When I moved here I decluttered before and after, and now yet again!!! LOL

      Delete
  4. haha I'm glad I made you laugh! See, I would have been excited about that book because I would have been going, "OMG! I didn't know Matthew Perry was a decluttering expert!"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. BWAHAHAHA He's on Clean House. I used to watch it when we had cable. ;)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...