June 20, 2013

How much are we worth?

I'm pretty sure this topic has been covered ad nauseum on the blog-o-sphere. I'm betting you could find a thousand posts within a months time trying to get people to know their worth. Every month. And yet we still struggle, and we still contemplate, and we still equate wrongly.

worth and value

Why is it we do this?

Ah, to have the answer to THAT question might allow the last post on this topic to be written. I'm not that smart though, and so I'm looking at worth, and value, and us, and pondering how do I get us to define ourselves correctly?

But then what is the correct definition of how much we are worth?

Maybe that's also the issue? Because it seems we need SOMEONE to say it for us. We need SOMEONE to say we are worth all the stars in the sky. We need SOMEONE to say nothing could be more valuable than we are. We need SOMEONE to say it doesn't matter what we do or do not do. Because too often value, just like beauty, is in the eye of the beholder.

But what do you see when you look in the mirror? Do you see your job, your relationships, your clothing, your home, your clutter, your victories, your mistakes? How do YOU define YOU?

Me? I don't so much define myself with the items I own, as much as I define myself by the way I can improve. You do see what I did there, yes? That means I define myself by my failures. I lost THIS relationship, so what can I do to improve my other relationships? I never started THAT business idea, so what can I do to make money? I quit THIS path, so what path should I try next? I stopped making THESE items, so what should I make now? And what am I left with? Waiting to see where I will fail next to find out where I should improve.

But here's a little secret, which is really hard to accept sometimes, but true none-the-less: our value is not found in our actions, our abilities, or our property. It is not found in our mistakes or our victories. Our value comes from the fact that we breath, and we live, and we have opened up our eyes one more day on this earth as it circles around the sun one more time.

And if you need SOMEONE to tell you how important you are, then know this:



8 comments:

  1. Beautifully said, Stacey. We're worth everything to those who love us. And worth comes in so many forms ... the best, in my mind, being the emotional worth we have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Silvia. Yes, emotional is huge, isn't it?

      Delete
  2. As someone who has struggled with this, along with millions of others, I'm happy to say that I'm more in tune with my worth and you are right - it's not based on so many of those other things we once thought it was. I'm a happier person now. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I hope you know how completely thrilled and giddy I am for you!

      Delete
  3. God love us so much it's sad to me why we have such a hard time loving ourselves. I guess it's our human nature to be just what we are....only human and flawed at that!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is sad, Jen, and I can't explain the difference between what I know and what I feel sometimes. I wish I could. Maybe you are right. Just human and flawed.

      Delete
  4. I really struggle with this and I know my kids do too. About a year ago I had vinyl clings made for our bathroom mirrors that say "You are fearfully and wonderfully made!" Every time I sit on the toilet I read that message and think ... "yes, I am! ... Thank you, Lord!" It's a little thing but some times little things make big differences!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think love notes like that are wonderful. The more we read something and the more we are reminded of the truth the better we know it.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...