Our feet hit the path...

It's a new part of our schedule. We go to the park and run. Well, I run and he's working up towards it, as it should be. But this time didn't go as planned. I had planned on walking 5 minutes for a warm up, running 30, and then walking 5. I wasn't going to stress about the distance because I wanted to see if this new pattern helped me run any easier than just starting right out the gate. I still have no idea if it will help.

My first ten minutes were spent walking and talking with my youngest. Maybe I should say to my youngest, he didn't get many chances to get a word in edge-wise. I know he's not a morning person, and I am aware we started the new schedule to train and discipline both of us, but that morning didn't go smoothly. And at the park it sort of... blew up. I walked for ten minutes telling him off. I walked for ten minutes only getting out of breath because of my anger. I walked for ten minutes hushing as people walked by, because who wants to hear that? Within those ten minutes I think I calmed down out of my original anger state and was able to express my thoughts clearly so he could actually hear them. But by the time those ten minutes were up I was ready to run.

And I did run, hard, for 20 minutes. Those 20 minutes were not easy, I had to catch my breath at different points, and while I never actually got the stitch in my side I could feel it threatening to show up. And then my phone rang.

My last ten minutes were spent walking and talking with my oldest. At this point youngest had finished his walk and was waiting for me, but I was at the other end of the park walking again listening to what oldest said and cheering him on before he headed across country. Talking to him about his plans, his direction, and when he would get there. Before he started out towards his new destination I got to talk to him, hear his voice, and cheer him on. As I hung up the phone I was back to where youngest was waiting, and I think we both had had a change of attitude by that point.

I have one year left with him at home. My job is not to control or change him, but teach and prepare him. This run taught me more than it might have taught him, but I'm hoping we both act differently the next time our feet hit the path.

Comments

  1. Ah, being a momma has its struggles. This has made me remember (and want to recommit to) previous attempts to train together with my girls. I tend to get frustrated and give up when it doesn't go quite the way I envisioned in my head.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I so wanted to never make him go to the park with me again. But alas, soon we will head out here in a minute for another go at it. :D

      Delete
  2. Love your honesty! Some days are just like this...they begin with frustration and anger, and one figures it out and hits the reset button. Expectations can be killers! ;) Found you via the linkup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, they can! Thanks for visiting and commenting Lisa!!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful post. Isn't it funny how things happen to change our perspective. I've had a situation before where I had just been ranting about something similar and then BOOM it happens in a different way and changes my mind about the previous rant.

    I'm glad things worked out between you and your youngest. Sometimes getting things out into the open can help both sides! Hope you guys continue your run/walk/chats :D

    Jen

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts