M: Make Changes

So far we have talked about a few small things you can do to be proactive in taking care of yourself, but you have to decide to actually do it now. Just knowing this information will not help you any. Don’t procrastinate and wish you had taken steps to be safer. Don’t think there will be plenty of time. Most of what has been discussed are small changes which make a big impact.

I challenge you to start a new habit today which will make you immediately safer. Whether it is locking your doors, not talking on your phone when you are walking, or picking up a book from the library to gain more information, choose to do something that will make a difference. If you have the ability to take a class, do so. If there is someone you can learn more from, start learning. It’s far too easy and simple to begin taking control of your self-defense for you not to do it.

What are you going to do?

Comments

  1. I tend to be suspicious so I'm usually pretty aware when out and about, and even when I'm home, but I think this post is a great reminder.

    Happy A-Z!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think alot has to do with where you live. When I lived in population dense areas everything was locked and I was always aware of who was around at any time. I live way out in the country with no neighbors nearer than a mile. Yes, I do feel safer but I'm not careless. I don't lock my doors while I'm home--or I should say one door isn't locked--I'm in and out constantly. I also have dogs--I raise Danes and they raise hell when someone or something unknown is around. Down side of country is there can still be home invasion. I'm aware. I know the sounds of my normal and when it's not.

    I don't let fear of the unknown rule my life, but I do believe in being cautious and aware.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I totally agree. The risk we have to face is different for each of us depending on where we live and so many other factors. We are the only ones who can determine what steps we need to take. Your dogs are a huge deterrent and warning for strangers!

      Delete
  3. I think the best thing for me to do right now is simply be aware. I love reading your posts, because there is so much wisdom here. I don't want to walk through life being oblivious and I think that is the biggest change for me- just being aware!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's such a huge part of the battle!!

      Delete
  4. The past couple kickboxing classes have been very interesting because of your series. When we do a combinataion that seem particularly practical I am visualizing an attacker and literally beating the you know what out of him. It's exhausting, but I think it is helping me to build a repertoire of offensive and evasive moves to have ready without a lot of though. I imagine hand strikes with my key between my fingers and actually grabbing for someones head on the knee strikes. I hope I'm not scaring you, but it is amazing the difference it makes. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Not scaring me at all! I think it's brilliant. I really had to deal with the MENTAL part of defending myself. It was a hard struggle I still fight sometimes, but I think it is SO SO necessary!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts