L: Lock Your Doors

lockWhen we lived in North Dakota we lived with a high sense of security. Whether it was false or not, I don’t know, but at this point I do know we put ourselves in danger had anyone wanted to take advantage of us. We rarely locked the doors in our house or car as we went about our days. Let me share two stories friends have shared with me to help you understand how important the simple act of locking your doors can be.

Her son was home alone while she went to run an errand. There were a few houses for sale in the neighborhood, so unfamiliar people were common and not looked at twice. When she got the phone call from him she could hear the panic in his voice. Apparently someone who had been looking at the house next door tried to get into her house. They rang the door bell, knocked on the door, and tried the door knob several times before they finally left. Had they left the front door unlocked these people would have walked in. Were they unsuspecting people simply looking for a house to buy and got mixed up on which houses were for sale? Maybe. Were they someone taking advantage of the homes for sale knowing no one was paying attention to strangers in the area? Possibly.

She was driving down the street when she hit the stop light. The older gentlemen was asking for handouts and her heart went out to him. He looked so frail as he made her way up to the car. Trying to be careful she only opened her window a little bit to hand him the money, but before she knew what was going on he was trying to open the car door. He was no frail man, but rather someone trying to take advantage of her good will and soft heart. Thankfully she was able to pull the door closed and take off before he was able to take more action. What were his intentions? Thankfully we don’t know.

It’s a simple act, but lock your doors and keep yourself safer.

Comments

  1. I honestly never think to lock the doors while I'm driving. I think ours does it automatically, but I know I'll pay attention next time we are out. Great examples - especially since we are getting ready to move into a neighborhood that will still b under construction. Lots of people coming and going, going into and out of various townhouses on a regular basis.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard in an area where so many "strangers" are in and out of the area regularly.

      Delete
    2. OH! And my car locks when I get to 25, but you need to lock the doors AS SOON as you get in. No one is going to try to jump in once you are moving. ;)

      Delete
  2. My car looks when you put the transmission in drive. Which is nice but the automation makes it easy to forget when it malfunctions OR you're driving a car without that feature.

    Our home was broken into around 28 years ago while we were on vacation. It had been looked up but we learned the hard way that all is required to unlock a sliding patio door is to unscrew the frame from the outside. That's how they got in. :( We returned home from visiting my family to find the house trashed, all the electronics missing and my peace of mind violated. They rifled through my underwear drawer! You don't feel good after that. Soooo I encourage everyone to be proactive in protecting themselves.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Tina! I can imagine how nervewracking that is. Yes, I know my house has some weaknesses that I can't change without changing doors and windows, but we do what we can, right? And try to get in the habit of locking as soon as you get in the car rather than waiting for the car to do it. If someone is going to try to get in your car at that point it will be before you put it in drive. Just a thought.

      Delete
  3. Very good advice! I have myself so well trained that sometimes I lock it before my husband can even get in the house, hee hee

    I've had telemarketers and religious people try my door knob before...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Crazy!! Our front door creaks as the sun comes up from the heat, and it can unsettle me sometimes. It reminds me to make sure the doors are locked just in case it isn't the heat.

      Delete
  4. Scary, isn't it? So many people bent on causing harm to others out there. We had our office broken into even with the doors locked, but any extra measure of security helps. Thanks for speaking out on the issue.
    Silvia @ Silvia Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I think that's something we have to understand. No matter what we do to protect ourselves something could still happen. It's a fine line between living more securly and becoming a hermit. ;)

      Delete
  5. Scary stories. I live in the south and we are guilty of leaving our doors unlocked. I am always afraid that our teenagers will forget or lose their keys so I leave them open. I wake up on many of mornings to find the house unlocked. Thanks for the warning and wake up call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we all have to choose our level of risk. Depending on where you live, or the neighborhood you live in, you may feel more safe. It's just not taking that feeling for granted and finding ways to work within the risk and life.

      Delete
  6. -Waves hello from the blog hop-

    I like your theme here and you're right. Something as simple as locking a door cn really make the difference between life and death.

    It's sad that we have to do such things, but there are all kinds in this world and it never hurts to be prepared :)

    Left and Write

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in Mark! yes, sometimes the small things we do make a big difference.

      Delete
  7. You can never be too careful. I always lock my doors when driving especially when alone.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've gotten to where locking my doors is the FIRST thing I do as I get in the car.

      Delete
  8. I loved your post and your comment to Melissa. Growing up, we never locked our home or cars. My husband is the one that changed my thinking on that. Locking up your things is easy to do, and you don't want to learn the lessons of not locking up the hard way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly! Some small things take little effort to do but make SUCH a difference.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts