H: Here?

We like to believe we live in a world of rainbows and gumdrops. We don’t want to face the fact crime and violence happen where we live. But it does. Many people think ignorance is bliss, but in reality ignorance only makes you vulnerable. Here are some questions to ask yourself, which may require a little research, but will go a long way to making you aware of what is going on in your community.

ignorance
  • How many sexual offenders live in your city?
  • How many break-ins have occurred in your neighborhood?
  • How many rapes have happened in your area?
  • How many murders, burglaries, or thefts have happened around where you live and work?
The idea is not to try to find an area where nothing happens, because that is impossible. The point is to make yourself aware of what is going on, so that you can make decisions based on facts.

If you are looking for a good place to begin answering these questions check out City Data.

Comments

  1. Just stopping by from the A-Z Challenge list to say "Hi" :)

    Thought provoking post honey.

    Good luck with the rest of the challenge!

    xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for dropping in and for the encouragement. :)

      Delete
  2. Interesting. Should I feel good that none of my towns were on the city-data list? I have a whole conspiracy going in my head about government information control and access here just outside of the nation's capital. You never know who your neighbor might actually be and they'd have to shoot you if you found out. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great post, Stacey. When we moved into our house, my husband and I did some research on crime in the area, and it was marginal, but that was eight years ago. We should update our search, to keep informed, as you say. I remember last year the schools went on lock down because the sheriff's office sent out immediate notice about a child abductor possibly being in the area. Scary.
    Love informative posts like yours.
    Silvia @ Silvia Writes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Silvia. It was eye opening for me when I checked it out, and yes things do change.

      Delete
  4. I grew up in rural Pennsylvania and even though I have lived in Chicago and outside of NYC, I still think that I live in that rural mentality. Today, I shut windows in the house that my husband had opened and he went around and locked each one, reminding me that when we were burglarized in Chicago, it was because a window had been left unlocked.
    It is so easy for me to trust, but it is naive, isn't it? Thanks for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, I'm the same way honey. I have always trusted too easily, and it feel wrong almost to not trust. I guess we are naive together, but at least we are learning.

      Delete
  5. Hi Stacey! :) We did a search when we were moving to this town/neighborhood, but I need to check it again. Well there are already concerns anyways, but I live just outside of one our nations worst cities so, this is how it is. Thank you for the reminder!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts