F: Fight, Flight, or Freeze

Often when we find ourselves in a situation where we are being attacked we have a choice of responses. Most people think the basic two responses are fight or flight, and this is often true. But many times when faced with a dangerous individual and we are not prepared our instinct is to simply freeze. This happens because we panic, and in a dangerous situation the last thing you want to do is panic.

panic
If you have learned techniques, planned ways to be proactive, and thought about scenarios you may fall into, then you are going to be less likely to panic when a situation happens, so you won’t freeze. If someone wants to take your wallet or jewelry they very well may leave once you have given it to them, but sometimes it’s simply not so simple. This is why the practice of different self-defense moves and ways of thinking is so important. When you repeat a move over and over it becomes second nature.

When I am in class and someone grabs me by the throat I know I am not in danger, but I also know the steps to help myself get out of that situation. The more we practice the better we get. This is important because it will help us not freeze in a situation, but stay alert to what is going on, and pay attention to the situation we are in.

Sometimes we have to fight our way out, and sometimes we can run, but seldom should we simply freeze and panicking should be out of the question. Learn what you need to so you can know what needs to be done when you have to protect yourself.

Comments

  1. I have a feeling I would fall too often into the freeze category! Another great post, Stacey!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And we do not want you in that category!

      Delete
  2. Wonderful post full of great information!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Good one! I have never thought of this, but it is so true. Freezing is probably what comes most naturally. Thank you for calling attention to this.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Me too! I mean, I had to have someone else point it out to me!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts