Answer your doubts.

I have been reading Glimpses of Grace as a morning devotional this year. While I don't always agree with Madeleine L'Engle, she almost always makes me think which I believe is a wonderful thing to happen. When I crossed paths with this quote I nodded in agreement, but I also have kept it in the back of my mind thinking about it:

question

Have you ever had doubts, worries, or questions but simply chose to ignore them and hold on to what you believe simply because someone said it and you choose to "have faith"? Can I, in my ever humble opinion, say that I think this is one of the most dangerous things you could ever do in regards to your faith.

You see, we have a Rock to stand on and that Rock is a firm solid foundation. But sometimes things get between us and the Rock. Sometimes another person pushes their beliefs onto you, and they say it is firm and you can stand on it, but it's not.

Then a question comes up, or a doubt, or a conflict about what was said. Sometimes the other person will accuse you of not being a believer, or of sinning against God, or of having the Devil in you if you question what they are so sure of. It's crazy, right? What craziest is that we will ignore those promptings not to make waves. You think that will never happen, because after all we are smart. But the accusations people can throw so easily are painful, and then the ground underneath us shakes a little.

You think it's impossible for someone to make such accusations? Please know it happens. I have had all three said against me or someone I know during different times in my life. Actually, now that I think of it they all occurred during the same period of time, but they weren't connected. I think God was bringing me to a point where I could start seeing what people were saying verses what He says.

So, what do doubts and questions have to do with all of this? If someone has said something that doesn't sit right in your soul, do not simply accept it on faith. Do not simply nod your head so that you don't cause conflict. Do not turn your back and ignore the issue for now. It will come back. Dig into the word. Do research into the Bible and find out what God says about your doubts and questions. If what was said truly was from God, as Mrs. L'Engle said, then why fear the research. And if it's simply from the person, you desperately need the research.

The reason I think it is so incredibly dangerous to accept blindly is because you leave yourself vulnerable. If someone tells you God wont give you more than you can handle, and something comes along which brings you to your knees you can begin to doubt the real truths. If you haven't searched out what is truth and what is false then your ground will be shaky when you need it to be firm the most. You see, God leaves us in our weakness so that we can boast about his strength. However, he doesn't give us a temptation greater than we can bear without also giving us a way out.

You can't stand firm until you remove the doubts, so dig in, learn what the Bible really says, and then stand firm when all is said and done.

Comments

  1. We have to be free to question our faith. We have to. God wants us to, I think. He prefers we open our eyes and see him clearly than to attempt to push through things we doubt. Having doubt only happens to those who have faith... which I find very comforting. <3

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know we can't answer everything, thus the need for faith, but ignoring doubts is so not good. I think you are right in that He wants us to search for him with our eyes open!

      Delete
  2. Been there. Done that. As the saying goes. The past 5 years my belief, my faith, even my motives have been questioned. The TRUTH is in his Word. And you HAVE got to read it yourself, as a whole, in order to absorb what is needed. Once a week (or even 3 times) listening to someone preach the word has not been enough for me. I have to feed daily on the Truth. Research what I don't understand, believe what I read and if the same theme keeps being repeated? If God continues to speak to my heart? Then walking the path I'm on is the RIGHT path and well meaning 'friends' who attack with half-truths they've heard someone espouse does me no good - the same way Job's friends filled him in on what he had done to deserve his afflictions. God DOES give us more than we can bear - to bring us to our knees. He doesn't tempt us. And when we are? It's what already is in our heart and if we turn to him? He will give us a way out.

    Your insight is delightfully true, Stacey. Keep up the good work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So true, love this. I have had in the past been looked at a uuuuhhh a sinner, I know shocking! Some turned their backs on me, some said I wasn't godly enough to be their friend, it hurt but now I'm glad I questioned things, I am glad I searched what scripture said, I am glad I still question and search, I don't know everything I don't think any of us do but we should search and find out. And when it comes to questions and doubts and worries I think we should run to God, He knows all that about us anyway. He knows our struggles and questions.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OH yes. I definitely know who I can be vulnerable in front of without fear. I guess I need to push and be vulnerable despite fear sometimes too.

      Delete
  4. I think that doubts are good things... I mean, we shouldn't be afraid of them. I used to think "Well, if I really believed what I say I believe, then I wouldn't wonder about ..'this'... and so my faith must not be as strong as I thought it was." But... I don't think that's really true. I think it's a healthy thing when we allow those doubts to push us to find the answers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes! If we ignore the doubts then we don't have the answers, we only pretend we do!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts