There is no small.

Some days it’s hard. It’s hard to believe I was made for anything when I seemingly do… nothing. I have filled many roles in relation to those around me, but often I look around and wonder why I’m not doing something like everyone else is. Why is my life so small?


Have you ever felt this way before? I can honestly say I certainly have. I have hoped that being a wife and mom was “enough,” struggling with what seemed like a small life. Did that make it any less valuable? Was I less important because I didn’t have some large goal placed in my heart? I felt defeated and alone and left out. But then, I guess that’s the nature of being a girl on the edge. You stand there wondering why everyone else is doing something, and you have to go run the vacuum.

Let me tell you, there is no such thing as an invaluable life. We are important because God has loved us and placed us to be right where we are. Whether we have a full time job which keeps us busy during the day, or we are changing the bazillionth diaper of the morning, God sees us, and we are important to Him.

Luke 12 6 7

So, what is it we are to do when we start feeling small and unimportant?
  1. Don’t compare your life to anyone else's. God chose you to bear fruit where you are. If you are wishing you were doing something different, chances are you’re not doing what you should be doing to the best of your ability.
  2. Find contentment where you are. There are different seasons to our life, and each season has pros and cons. I challenge you to focus on the pros of where you are right now. It may not make the cons go away, but focusing on the positive has an effect on how you see even the negative.
  3. Prepare yourself for what the future may bring. You will receive opportunities where you are right now which will help you for where you are going. These opportunities may not reveal themselves as such until after the fact, so the easiest way to prepare is by doing what you feel God calling you to do.
  4. Give each moment the fullness it deserves. Some things can be done without thinking, but make sure you are thinking when you do the things that need you to be engaged. Cleaning the toilets is one thing, but helping your child with your homework is another. Don’t treat your relationships as chores. Take the time a moment requires.
  5. Trust God with your today and tomorrow. He sees you and you are no less than anyone else. When you feel forgotten remember He has placed you where you are for a reason. Embrace that truth regardless of how you are feeling.
You are so important, right here and now. No one could replace you or do the things you do quite the way you do them. God knows this, and that’s why He designed your life and you the way He did. Choose to embrace where you are. Remember, size is both relative and comparative. Try to see your life as God does. 

Comments

  1. Wise words, friend. Thank you for this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wise word indeed and such a necessary message. Love the reminder to find contentment in all situations! And oh, how comparison can keep us from being thankful for where God has us!
    Thanks for this post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Stacey. I think the Lord is trying to get this through my thick skull. Ann Voskamp wrote something similar today. I am grateful that my 'small life' gives glory to God.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh, darlin, your life is giving glory to God so certainly!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts