Soft target?

I sat at the table with the rest of the "staff" of the church. No, most of us weren't paid, but we helped in deciding what would happen at the church. We never got a notice of what would be discussed so preparation was impossible. That evening I sat a little shell shocked as the pastor said he wanted to put up signs keeping out concealed weapons. I had no evidence, I had done no research, but I knew in my heart it was the wrong course of action. When he didn't get us to vote the way he thought we would, the topic was tabled never to be mentioned again.

When I went home that night I knew I had to get my research together. You see, I didnt' know it wouldn't be mentioned again at that time. I just knew I needed to find out: was what my heart told me right?

Once my research was completed I found out that most massacres happen in gun free zones. Recently this topic has been in the news a lot because of the tragedy in CT. My heart breaks for those families, but did you know CT has some of the most stringent gun laws?

I understand we feel this need to figure out the why it happened to keep this from happening again. I understand the desire to do something, make a difference, change anything because something must be changed. But I need you to stop for a minute and think. The reason all of the massacres took place was not because law abiding citizens had a right to bear arms. It was because a very sick individual did something that was unthinkable.

When a gun free zone goes up you make that location a soft target. If you are a crazed individual determined to live out this deranged plan you have come up with, will you go somewhere you know others have no guns, or will you go somewhere there is a possibility someone is armed? Taking away our guns is not the answer to this problem. Unfortunately more laws do not keep people from doing crazy things or our jails would not be overflowing. All more stringent gun laws do is keep us from protecting ourselves.

As I knew sitting in the church that one day I still know now sitting in my home: I prefer not to be a soft target. I know I don't have a story to tell where I have been involved in such a shooting, so maybe my words don't have as much weight. Please then, listen to someone who has been there and was denied her right to protect herself.

 
The cafeteria she was in, Luby's, was a gun free zone. The research I did was years ago and I did not save it once we left the area and moved to a new state, but I suggest you not be controlled by your emotions. Instead do some research on your own. I know statistics and facts can be twisted, so try to go to original sources and reporting of the tragedies. You may realize you don't want to be a soft target either.

Comments

  1. I have never wanted to own a gun but I can't say that I have a problem with people owning one. I'd say the majority of the people that want to own a gun do so for protection. The crazies will get one whether it is legal or not. Profound thinking on my part, eh? LOL!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And I would never ever force anyone to carry. That is so dangerous because when that happens the gun is used against the person. And I agree with you. The ones who wish to harm will do so regardless of the law. They always have.

      Delete
  2. I don't have particularly strong gun-control beliefs, in either direction. I understand parts of both sides, I guess. Like it baffles me a bit why we civilians really need guns that shoot crazy amounts of ammunition in a short amount of time, and I don't think I'd be sad to see some more control in the KINDS of guns we can get our hands on. However, I know many people (like Ron, my FIL, etc) who own guns for protection and I have no problem with that at all.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I guess the "need" for the bigger guns which hold more ammunition is because they exist and the bad guys can have them. Also, as the girl in the video says, it's not about hunting but rather defending ourselves against the government who also has those guns. And you know I don't say that lightly. I would hate for us to ever need them in such a way, but I would hate more to need them and not have them.

      Delete
  3. Thank you for your research, Stacey! I so appreciate your commitment to discovering what is true. This is a great post and one that I feel completely unqualified to respond to other than to say that I wish that everyone would take this approach. We can't meet tragedy with our emotions. That never works!
    So thank you for writing this, for doing the research and for being you!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Becky. I don't want to shove it down anyones throat, but I don't want to lose the ability to protect my family either.

      Delete
    2. Well, in my humble opinion, I think you handled it perfectly!!!

      Delete
  4. Good post!!! There is also the major issue of our second amendment rights. If this ONE amendment is taken away, it gives way for EVERY one to be taken away.... something to ponder.
    I think those who are vehemently opposed would be surprised at how many law abiding citizens own guns. Taking away their rights would not eliminate the problem. I wish the liberal media would report more on the lives that were saved, due to law abiding citizens who step in and help. As far as the concern with controlling the size of the magazine... A magazine of a smaller size can be changed out in a minimal amount of time. push a button, it pops out, pop the new one in. Unfortunately the true problem is not being addressed. It's a heart problem, a mental health problem, a sin problem. Push God out of everywhere, and then wonder why there are morality problems. I am not a gun fanatic. Until about 4 months ago, I was pretty terrified of them. I am a huge advocate for my rights as a citizen. Watching them be gradually taken away, is far more frightening to me than gun control.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think gun control is an appeasement of sorts which makes people feel better even though it does nothing to fix the issues. I have to admit, I don't know what will fix the issues (aside from what you say about the heart issue), but I don't want to just do something when it really doesn't help.

      Delete
  5. Love what you said about not being controlled by emotions. so true.

    It's easier to look at the symptoms than the cause, don't you think?

    I agree...gun control is not the answer for any of us. And I'll never believe guns are the answer, either, because they're not the issue...

    I wish it were as easy as putting up a sign....

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are so right! Guns aren't really the issue. It's just one more thing evil uses to create harm in this world.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts