Apple Oatmeal... Crisp?

I have a recipe for an apple crisp dessert hidden away amongst my many cookbooks and recipe pages. I honestly don't know where it is, but I have made a few times so the basics were in the back of my head. I decided I wanted to make it, and I decided to fly by the seat of my pants. Now, I have remade this recipe twice to make sure it came out basically the same each time, and it did. I wanted to share this with you because in all honesty I have served it as dessert AND breakfast. Aside from cinnamon rolls how many recipes are that flexible?? Okay, here it is.

Start out with these ingredients:

1




1 cup all purpose flour
4 packages of original instant oatmeal
2 cans of fried apples (with cinnamon)
cinnamon sugar
1 stick of butter

Spray your container well with a spray oil, and turn your oven on to 350 degrees. In a bowl combine the flour, oatmeal, and cinnamon sugar. I can't honestly tell you how much cinnamon sugar I used, but even if I had measured I would still tell you to go according to your taste. The cinnamon in the fried apples flavors well if you don't want to add any extra.

Place the fried apples WITH the liquid into the container, and pour the dry ingredients on top. With a wooden spoon mix gently so that the liquid is absorbed and the apples are covered. It should look like this:

2

At this point take the stick of butter and slice it up into near teaspoon slices. This does NOT need to be perfectly measured because you will simply be laying the top of the apple mixture with the butter. Before it goes into the oven it should look like this:

3

Put it in the preheated oven and let it cook for 30-45 minutes. When it is ready to come out the liquid will be bubbling out on top in a few places, and the rest will be slightly browned. The best part is your kitchen will smell scrumptious! Here is what mine looked out coming out of the oven:

4

Now, you can simply scoop this into bowls and hand it out, or you can serve it with ice cream and whipped cream for a little extra fun. Everyone in my family really enjoyed the results, though I think they liked it better as the dessert than the breakfast.

Comments

  1. Confession: I've never purchased or seen a can of fried apples! where have I been?!?

    I went grocery shopping last night and looked for them, but couldn't find them...but I want to make this!

    so, can I fry my own apples and add a touch of sugar and cinnamon or would I be missing something? is what's in the can similar consistency to a pie filling?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are in the canned fruits aisle, usually top shelf. heh You could possibly use the apple pie filling but it is much thicker and would probably need to add some water, but I don't know how much. If you try it with the filling, maybe... half a cup of water mixed with it?

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts