The Cookie.

We never were able to get a Christmas cookie making day into our schedules on a regular basis. We did it a few times. Once just me and the boys, and at least once I remember my folks came over to help. But nothing happened on a regular basis.

I can say, every time I did make cookies, this recipe was included. It's such a great cookie, and it's not a sugar cookie. Let me repeat: this is NOT a sugar cookie. It's not sweet at all, so when you put the icing on it nothing is over done. It's simply perfect. Now, let me say, I did see something on television talking about a little lemon juice in a cookie, and I can so see that being added to this recipe. I may experiment. If we make them. (Here are the cookie pictures!)

Traditional Christmas Cookies

2 sticks butter
2 cups sugar
2 eggs
2 Tbs milk
4 cups flour
1 Tbs baking powder
1 tsp salt

With a hand mixer, cream together the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, milk, and vanilla. In separate bowl sift together flour, baking powder, and salt. Gradually beat into butter mixture. Refrigerate dough 1 hour. The dough can then be sliced, rolled out, or simply scooped into balls. Place cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet, bake in 325 degree oven until golden, 20-30 minutes, depending on thickness. Cool on wire Rack

Pastel Icing

Beat 2 1/2 cups confectioner's sugar and 2 Tbs water at high speed until smooth. Divide icing into as many colors as you want and use food coloring to color. Let cookies cool completely before icing.

I do not know who the originator of this recipe is. I looked online for it, but the original site I got it from is now defunct.

I know of at least one other blog who did a virtual cookie party, and I'm so sorry I didn't partake. Life is just now slowing down enough I can think about making cookies, much less remember where I stored the recipe. This is why finishing prepping for the season early is so necessary for me. It's the only way I can make time to enjoy the season. Crazy, right? I know I'm a little late in the game, but do you have a favorite cookie recipe you could point me to? I'd love to know!

Comments

  1. These sound similar to the Christmas Card Cookies that I grew up making. I don't know where my mom got the recipe, but it has been a long-standing tradition. We have not made any yet, though. That time thing keeps getting in the way!

    Looking forward to your pictures!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're on facebook! Go check them out. They turned out yummy.

      Delete
  2. I don't traditionally make Christmas cookies but I did make some goodies this year. Yesterday I made Graham Cracker Candy and Haystacks. Last week I made some regular old no-bake Chocolate Oatmeal cookies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WHAT is graham cracker candy? Please share.:)

      Delete
  3. This is just like the recipe I used except I didn't use pecans (which would have been totally awesome!!): http://www.cookiemadness.net/2010/12/graham-cracker-candy/ EASY and delicious.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts