Jesus loves me, this I know?

I’m not sure how it started. Maybe you are similar to me in your thinking? I wish I could point to a specific date and time when I knew my line of thinking was off base, but I honestly can’t. I just know how I used to think, and I know how I think now.

I used to sing “Jesus Loves Me” with the best of them. Shoot, our youth group even sang it to a more “grown up” tune with harmony and everything. I knew all the right answers, I knew how to respond, and yet I was scared. Scared of what? Well, to put it quite simply, scared I would never ever measure up. Even in high school when I was still a good girl this idea scared me.

You see, love didn’t measure into my thinking. Or if it did it went along with, “Those He disciplines He loves,” and I was always expecting to be disciplined for something or other. I got the “not good enough, no not one” part of the Roman Road down great. It was the grace and love which didn’t seem to permeate my brain matter.

Maybe you know someone like who I was. Maybe you are like that. Do the verses pointing out how bad you are sit with you longer than the loving verses? Do you even know any loving verses? Oh yes, there is always 1 Corinthians 13, the love chapter.

1 cor 13

How many have a plaque with it hanging in your house, let’s see a show of hands? Now, how many of you really truly believe this is how God loves you?

Wait… where did those hands go? I’m glad to see some still up, but for those of you who used to be like me, we see God as more into judging, disciplining, being disappointed, and generally not a very happy God. Maybe a little like Zeus is portrayed?

So, what is the truth? Where does it all fall out and everything fall away? What is the core of this issue? The next few posts in this series are going to be looking more in depth at this very question.

I’ll admit I’m a little nervous about it. What if I don’t find something to share with you? What if my gloom and doomsday predictions and assumptions are right? Well, something tells me they aren’t.

The churches stopped preaching fire and brimstone sermons a long time ago. That doesn’t mean there isn’t a hell; it simply means fear won’t save people from going there. I think God’s plan is a little better, and it has more to do with love.

Comments

  1. This is such an important message. I see this struggle in my children. I had loving parents and still struggled with it. I think it is part of the human condition.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's hard to know how widespread something is, ya know? You write something and wonder if it is JUST you, or if someone else out there knows what you mean. Thanks for letting me know it's not just me. ;) ((hugs))

      Delete
  2. Oh, I am very much looking forward to reading what's coming next.... :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think sometimes I sound like a broken record, but I so believe it, When we know how much we are loved by God, when we live loved...it changes everything! I'm still learning all that it means, but there is such a change in the way I see and know God because of it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts