He loves you, no more and no less

I hid parts from him. Yes, I understand how crazy that sounds. I know I can’t actually hide a blasted thing from him. But I tried to. God was part of my life, but there were parts of my life I didn’t talk to God about. You see, I wanted to be loved, and like a girl going out on a date with a boy for the first time, I tried to put on a charade of perfection. How else could I get him to love me?

It’s hard isn’t it? We compare what we think about God to what we know about people. People like perfection, their form of it anyway. Too often they see something they don’t like, whether our sin or their perspective, and they walk away. We’re not good enough. Or they will stay but will never let us forget how lucky we are they did. Guilt and shame hang over our heads. We walk the “not good enough” walk with our eyes downcast and our steps slow. These who barely know us have a hard time finding something to love about us. How could the one who created us love us after what we have done to his creation?

romans 5 8

God is not human. He doesn’t change his mind, doesn’t lie, and is love. He IS love. He looks at us in kindness and understanding. He breaks for us as we break. He wants so much for us and every good thing comes from him. And sometimes we think we have to jump through hoops to get his attention and for him to care. Why?

Take this thought in: you can do nothing to make God love you any MORE than He does right now.
Take this thought in: you can do nothing to make God love you any LESS than He does right now.

That might not be a “whoa!” moment for you, but it was for me. I always saw him as someone who was waiting for me to do the right thing, and loving me anyway. But the truth is, He loves me, and wants me to do the right thing. Do you see the difference? Am I making a mountain out of a molehill or arguing semantics? I really don’t think so, and I hope you don’t either.

He loves you, too. Right now. No less than he did yesterday and no more than he will tomorrow.

Yes, I know, it’s hard to grasp. Sit with it for a while. Think about it for as long as you need to. We don’t live a talent show. We aren’t competing to see who is best. This life we live will not be graded on a curve. The truth of the matter is God is God and He loves us so very much. And nothing you have done or will do can change that one iota.

Comments

  1. "No less than he did yesterday and no more than he will tomorrow." Isn't it wonderful! It frees us to walk with God in new and amazing places!
    Have you read the book "He Loves Me" by Wayne Jacobson? It's full of whoa moments!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have not. I'll have to keep my eye open for it. Thanks Katharine!

      Delete
  2. Amen! It was a whoa moment when I first realized this:)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts