Learning what you know

Too many times I have walked into a situation thinking I knew all the answers. Too many times I have thought I had it all right. Too many times I missed out on learning because I didn't think there was anything I could learn. Whether it is about a certain topic, or a person, if we close ourselves off to really listening we close ourselves to learning.

duty of love

God shows me things all the time, and yet I forget. He allows me to gain new perspectives which are eye opening, much less what they do to my heart. And yet I still have moments when I think I have it all together.

What is my goal? Why do I do this?

I can honestly say my pride and ego which do not want to be rebuffed. Sometimes I'm simply nervous. There are definite times I want to know all the right answers or I want to be the brilliant one.

Did you see the second presidential debate the other night? I too often become like the men we saw. They were jockeying for the truth, for the votes, for the popularity... as I do. I became overwhelmed as I watched the debate with only half an eye and ear. But later, even amidst all the hoopla of who won and who lost, I knew. I knew that I was no different than those men who would not listen, who spoke over the other, and who told their version of the truth.

I want to be better. I want to listen more. That was one of my goals for this year. Some days I am able to hear better than other days, but I know I have missed out on some opportunities from talking too much. Does it matter the reason why? The affect is still the same, and it's my loss. And possibly someone else's if I couldn't take the time to hear them.

Maybe if I didn't go through life trying to prove myself I would be able to learn so much more. In learning what I don't know I would learn what I do know. And I might just be surprised at how little that actually is.

Teach me today. Leave me a quote or a link to a post which gave you insight you didn't expect. Help me learn.


Comments

  1. This is such a truthful post, and has me reflecting even on how much I talked while leading small group last night. Being quiet is such a skill, and one that I'm trying to hone. Thanks for this insight and honesty, Stacey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh I understand. I invited a friend for coffee and spent the majority of the time jabbering on.

      Delete
  2. Oh I know this this well...I am learning to listen...slow to speak...quick to listen...I have heard that is why God gave us 2 ears and one mouth...we are to listen twice as much as we speak. For me, God showed me threads of arrogance in my heart...when I thought I should speak..that I had something to say. I am learning to wait...wait for the opportune time to speak. I don’t have any thing to prove...God might use wisdom He gave me...but He doesn’t need “my” wisdom shoved in some one’s face.
    I too have missed a lot...but I am seeing God bring redemption...one way is right here in this blog world.
    thanks for this...blessings as we listen together~

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I am so thankful for God's redemption. It's what allows hope!! And yes, I wish my one mouth would hush so my two ears could hear! LOL

      Delete
  3. I'm not one to talk too much, but that doesn't mean I'm always listening! Even I need to learn to hear what He would have me hear...

    I thought long and hard at what I wanted link or quote I wanted to leave and I'm so indecisive I still can't decide!

    guess I'm with you in needing to learn. Thank you for your brilliant honesty, friend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LOL You make me laugh with your indecision, but it's all good. And YES!! Most important I need to hear HIM speak to me. I'm betting if I listened to God more listening to other people would be a snap. Well, maybe.

      Delete
  4. I've learned that it is just as hard, if not harder, to give myself grace:) That you are even reflecting on this kind of thing shows your spirit to grow, which is great. But, really, as I read, I was thinking, "This girl doesn't realize how amazing she is!" My Anna still talks about the truth wrap of yours that I won. And truly, you really touched me with the beautiful wrappings and special touches that came with it. So, don't sell yourself short, because you're pretty awesome;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You are too kind sweetheart. We all have moments, and we all have strengths, true. I'm so glad that the Truth Wrap touched your heart so much. It was yours all the time, you know! You just had to claim it. :D

      Delete
  5. Ok, this is one I read that made me stop and do a double take when I first saw it... As I was first reading it, I thought it was just a tongue-in-cheek support of procrastination. But it turned out to be much more, and really made me stop and think.

    "Never do today what you can put off until tomorrow. Delay may give clearer light as to what is best to be done." -- Aaron Burr

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um, that quote really makes procrastination look helpful! And I would say sometimes waiting a little bit really is. :) Thanks jo!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts