for you

I've heard it said. A bazillion times, I've heard it said. And yet it seems I continually slip back into the place where I need to hear it. Again.

Who do you do this for?

What is "this"? Well, it's anything. It's writing, blogging, creating, mothering, wifing (which I'm sure is a term in some dictionary). It's gardening, learning, and sharing. "This" is living. Who are you living for? (What's the "correct" answer, class?)

God. Yes.

And let me not detract from this correct answer when I say the one you need to be doing these things for is you. Does it bring you peace? Does it bring you joy? Are you experiencing a life lesson? Is it a stretching to make you better?

You see, God has a plan all laid out and we work within that plan. If we want to live most abundantly, we live according to that plan. He has boundaries we simply need to stay in, like the fence around the back yard. And we get opportunities. Each opportunity brings a choice. Behind each choice is a motive.

What is your motive? (What's the "correct" answer, class?)

To bring glory to God. Yes.

But how do we do that? Ah! That IS the question isn't it?! Whose stereotype do we long to look like? What person do we want to emulate. Which direction should we go?

It's a big yard, my friend. Don't do something because someone else does it. Or because they tell you to. Don't make a choice based on another person's priorities. They won't fit you. And please, for the love of all sanity, do not think there is only one correct answer inside this fence! Each question has a bazillion different answers.

Yes, I know. It can be scary stepping out on your own rather than following another's leading or footsteps. There is fear there. But God can help you overcome the fear and give you the best life possible for you. I don't know what that looks like. No one does. Only God. So trust HIS path for you rather than the path someone else has carved out.

Recently I realized I was writing because I wanted to be someone. I wanted to build a platform and a tribe so I could use it one day. (Oh my word... selfish much?) I lost focus, my friends. I was no longer writing because it's part of who I am. No, my motives had (obviously) grown very selfish and (to no one's surprise) the words dried up. (I was a little jealous of those who have made it big after 1 year of blogging. I was comparing.)

Now, I'm not saying there is anything wrong with having a platform or a tribe. (Remember, big yard!) I'm saying that all of a sudden it became my major focus. And I began to drown in stuff that didn't make a difference for me.

I want to remember one of the things God created me for was to write. (I narrate events in my head. I have to choose not to do this.) And I am so grateful that I have a place where I can write. And I am so thankful that you, my friends, choose to come by here and share this space with me. And I promise (I'd say scouts honor, but I wasn't one) all you are going to get around here now is me. Crazy, creative, wordy, up and down, blessing searching, God loving, friend caring, wanting to encourage others... Me.

It's easy to get caught up in the crowd. My goal is to stop doing that, but I'm hoping not to swing to the other side of the pendulum. If you catch me becoming completely isolated you have full permission to call me on it.

Now go. Do the good work God has created for you to do. (What is that? I'd love to hear!)

Comments

  1. Oh, thank you so much. I have been struggling with this for a bit now, and it's that fear that really makes it tough. I'm so glad you are you! I am always encouraged by my visit here!

    ReplyDelete
  2. this spoke to my heart and brought tears to my eyes~

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amen. I need this reminder often, too:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you mandy. You make me feel a little more normal. :)

      Delete
  4. I'm so in this place of refocusing my motives!!! Thank you Stacey.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it, Mary Beth! :D We'll do it together.

      Delete
  5. This is so good, and we all need to step back on occasion and ask ourselves the real questions.
    Why?
    Because in order to go forward we need clarity.
    In order to go deeper we need vision.
    In order to go real we need to know how come.
    This is good.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree. Regular assessment is imperative, and too often I know I put it off until it's an emergency. Thank you!

      Delete
  6. Oh I am HERE!!!! And Stacey..I've been struggling with this HERE place because there are so many "advice" givers in the blog-o-sphere who can tell you how to market, market MARKET! And while there is a necessary amount of decorum and style...I don't want to sell out after all this time of struggling to break free of the people pleasing side of me.

    I write...because I am a writer. I write for myself and I pray that in this, as in all things--that I glorify God. Thanks for that wonderful post.

    Lorretta at Dancing on the Dash
    www.dancingonthedash@wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I so agree, Loretta. I think I feel into the trap of making what should be behind the scenes forefront in my mind and motives. What they teach is not bad, it's helpful and useful. I just got skewed!

      Delete
  7. I've been there.
    Last week I was asked to speak at our PWOC here, and I did. About rejoicing with others. Sometimes it's tough, and I didn't even touch on the comparison game. I hope you feel more encouraged that you DO have a tribe, and you DO have people who love you and your words. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Adding that I was asked last week, but I spoke today. Or for you, that'd be yesterday, since it's already tomorrow for you in you time zone. :)

      Delete
    2. LOL It was hard when we lived in california. I can't imagine how frustrating Alaska is. ((hugs)) I wish I could have heard you speak. I know I would have learned a lot!

      Delete
  8. Oh my, this hit me right where I'm at! Thank you for putting my thoughts into words!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts