Dreams you want.

    She homeschools her children. She is going back to school.
    She has her entire day to write. She has a book contract.
    She has a two book deal. She is married.
    She has children. She can do whatever she wants.
    She can garden.




It is interesting, isn’t it? I sat here thinking about different dreams we might share and the list was continuous. I stopped at gardening because it made me smile, but I could have gone on. Some of the dreams we didn’t get are heartbreaking, and others are simply a matter of timing, but so often I see people falter under the false belief that someone else is living their dream.

Confession: Sometimes I do this myself. I have wished I had something another person has.

I’ll be honest in saying I feel funny even writing the above as vague as the statement is. The truth of the matter is when you are focusing on what others have and what you don’t have, you don’t see what you do have. I know I have talked about gratitude and my inability to keep lists of it before, but that’s what it comes down to.

I used to have a large group of friends. I would often find myself wishing I was closer to more of them. I would try to slide next to them, join them in conversation, or get attention from them but it never worked for long. We probably were either too much alike or too different which caused us not to become exceedingly close. At the time I was jealous of those who were able to be close with them. I thought if I just tried a little harder I could make it work. Unfortunately, I was ignoring those I did have a connection with, who were my friends without me working hard to make it happen, and they probably felt dismissed when I whined about not being closer to more people.

Life can get hard and confusing sometimes. I know there are dreams which are HUGE, not just simply a book deal or someone being a close friend. They are harder to release and give to God. I don’t pretend to be an expert, nor do I pretend to have all the answers. What I do want to encourage you to do is look at your life with a fresh perspective, or new eyes. Because in all seriousness, YOU are who someone else looks to and wishes their life was more like… oh yes, you are.

Just as we see other’s blessings easily, our blessings are easy for others to see as well. Let’s stop and look at them ourselves. We may find some dreams hidden in there we didn’t know we had.

Comments

  1. Dreams of all sizes are important, I think. Maybe not life or death kind of important, but important, simply because they are important to you and me and whoever. And it can be so easy to look at people who seem to be living our dreams and think "Why them and not me?" And it's not necessarily that you begrudge them the fulfillment of the dream... it's just... "Why not me, TOO?" But, when we do that, you're absolutely right... We miss the good things we DO have when we're so focused on what we don't. And even when we don't have that one thing we think we need, we have an awful lot already.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes. I have done the "Why not me, TOO?" but then I try to refocus. And try to refocus. And try to refocus. :)

      Delete
  2. This is so true and often leads to the misconception that God only has so much to go around and I'm not going to get any.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh yes! I have seen that theology before too. That God's blessings are limited. It makes me sad, but then I think I do the same sometimes too.

      Delete
  3. Great insight, Stacey. It is so much easier to compare then it is to trust when it doesn't make sense. Learning so much about this right now- mostly learning to be content where I am and not always be yearning for something more. I want to be surprised by what God does and not angry because it doesn't go my way!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Contentment is definitely on my plate right now as well!

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts