A Moment of Silence

I find myself frustrated as of late. I read a wide variety of blogs, all coming from a wide variety of different points of view. What I am noticing, from all of us, is how we put down the “other” point of view, and then do the very same thing they do. Why is it we think we are so much smarter than they are? How is it we think they are so stupid to fall for the same things over and over again, and then do it ourselves?

I know, this is vague. The reason is because I don’t want to fall into the same place. Suffice it to say, I have heard enough people argue about guns, chicken, and elections to go on a media fast for the rest of the year. But I won’t. I won’t because I don’t want to be ignorant to what is going on outside my own little bubble. However, I do have a thought which might make these discussions a little better.

Let’s all take a moment of silence.

What? Well, when we want to expound on how evil the other side is, let’s take a moment of silence and hear what the Holy Spirit says about our own goodness. When we want to explain how stupid the other side is to fall for the same thing again, let’s take a moment of silence to hear what the Holy Spirit says about our own wisdom. And when we want to talk about how illogical someone’s decisions are, let’s take a moment of silence to hear what the Holy Spirit has to say about our brilliance.

It’s not that these discussions can’t take place. I understand why they do. I just wonder if we can make them more honest. I’m just curious if we can make them more palatable. If we really want to make a difference with these discussions we have to enter into them with a heart to understand, and a desire to truly be heard. This means we need to say it in love, and if we are saying it in love then I doubt we will be quite so ready to point a finger, but rather more ready to walk along side.

Let’s take a moment of silence. Not only for those whom all these issues truly affect, but so the Holy Spirit might be able to have a say in what comes out of our mouths.


Comments

  1. Great post, Stacey!! It's a challenging one, too -- so often we want to jump into the argument instead of stepping back and allowing God to lead our words (and more often, our silence).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is hard. Usually, however, if I can step back then I can see things a little clearer. When I'm wrapped up in hurt or anger that is ALL I see.

      Delete
  2. This is great Stacey. You and Jen Hat maker seem to be on the same page. That's the page I'm on, too. There's only one voice that speaks truth.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Um. Wow, and thanks. I know you aren't comparing me to her, but for some reason our names separated by an "and" is pretty cool. For me. LOLOL I think mob mentality from ANYONE is scary.

      Delete
  3. Love you...

    I've never even been IN a Chick Fil A. :)

    I am, however, a proponent of chicken consumption.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm not a fan of their sandwiches, even though I could get it without the pickle. I like thier nuggest or strips bestes with the buffalo sauce. Their shakes? I have never had one because they are SO rich and creamy and high in calories. I only dream of those. LOL

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts