Is it better to be reactive or proactive about life?

This culture we live in is fairly reactive. We don't prepare for a lot of things, and while we aren't always harmed by this sometimes we are. On top of that, too often we make fun of those who do prepare giving them special nicknames to distinguish between us and them. Take for example "Doomsday Preppers." Everyone, or nearly, knows what I mean when I say this. Basically this term defines someone who is preparing for an emergency of extraordinary size, but it is meant in a derogatory way. I think because so often we, the culture, think nothing will actually happen.


There may be an extreme to being proactive, as there are extremes to everything, and everyone needs to find the point they are comfortable with. What I don't understand is how anyone can be comfortable with doing nothing. Plainly speaking, I know it's because they don't think that extraordinary event will ever really happen, but so often people don't even prepare for the things which are more possible.

What about tornadoes?
Or Super Storms?
Hurricanes?
Muggings?
Physical Attacks?



I have a storm shelter for when tornadoes appear. I know people who carry guns in case someone attacks them. I have seen communities leave an area when a hurricane was approaching. There are so many choices out there, and we have to start choosing one before the event. Take a look at your life, your community, and start getting more information. Start taking steps to protect yourself. Start learning what is the best course of action for you and your family.

Don't wait and say, "I wish I had...." . Be proactive. It's too important not to be.



Comments

  1. "I do believe we should be in a position willing to reconcile when the other party reaches out their hand in reconciliation."
    I believe you hit the nail right on the head! When Jesus met with the wealthy young ruler and asked him to give up all he had, the young man did not get the point of what Jesus was asking of him. Jesus wanted him to be WILLING to give it all up, but that did not automatically mean that he HAD to give it all up. Not everyone is called in to the mission field, but we are expected to be WILLING to go if He calls us.
    I have 2 very strenuous relationships in my life.Though they inflicted great pain in all manner of ways, I harbor no bitterness or anger. That being said, I communicate minimally with one and not at all with the other. One is willing to see the struggles and work slowly at complete reconciliatory,the other continues to hurt me. I do not see scripture instructing me to be friends with everyone. it does instruct us to love, love, and love some more. I do--through prayer and forgiveness. Reconciliation can indeed be one sided if you have reconciled in your heart with Christ that forgiveness is freely given to all our "enemies" or those that have harmed us in some way. It is ludicrous to keep an abuser in your life if they are not willing to repent. But you do not have to be overcome with hatred and anger either.

    About the quote...I have never read it before so I do not know all the particulars around his specific quote. If we look at Websters 1828 definition of "reconcile" it gives a little insight.
    (pasted from 1828 dictionary on line)
    1. To conciliate anew; to call back into union and friendship the affections which have been alienated; to restore to friendship or favor after estrangement; as, to reconcile men or parties that have been at variance.
    Go thy way; first be reconciled to thy brother - Mat 5.
    We pray you in Christ's stead, be ye reconciled to God.
    2 Cor 5. Eph 2. Col 1.
    2. To bring to acquiescence, content or quiet submission; with to; as, to reconcile one's self to afflictions. It is our duty to be reconciled to the dispensations of Providence.
    3. To make consistent or congruous; to bring to agreement or suitableness; followed by with or to.
    4. To adjust; to settle; as, to reconcile differences or quarrels.

    Ryle could not allow this reconciliation because he truly believed that the Catholic church was heretical and therefor NOT a brother in Christ so reconciliation as far as doctrine could never be met.
    That is just a personal observation! I was raised a Catholic---school, communion, etc. and though I left the church because it was not meeting my needs, I know many Catholics that are saved by the blood of Jesus and will be in heaven with us rejoicing :0). Just like there will be some of other "denominations" that we were sure would be there, but they truly did not yield to the truth.
    Gid is the only one that can judge a heart. And Ryle lived in a very different society than ours. I think that def influenced his views. He was a man...a godly man granted, but still a man and capable of being in error just like the rest of us :0).
    WOW! That was way longer than I expected...delete and amend at will!!!
    By His Grace...
    Donna

    ReplyDelete
  2. I recently went through a time of separation with a friend, a relationship that, as-is, wasn't really that great for me. A mutual friend who understood gave me the advice to shut the door... but leave the window open just a crack to allow for possible change in the future. It was good advice.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts