Dearest Friend,

I have to admit something to you. I have labeled myself with “quitter.” It’s something that has caused struggle, frustration, shame, and guilt in my life. I do this to myself without the help of anyone, and the list of things I have quitted has been reviewed many times. In the past I would try to say it was something that happened but it didn’t define me. Then I would stick the label back on my forehead. I’m sure you have seen it.

Have you ever felt that way? Have you ever not followed through with something in your life, so you felt as if you were forever more labeled quitter? It’s a heavy weight we cause ourselves to bear.

I am reading Writing Down the Bones by Natalie Goldberg. I am enjoying what I am learning about the writing process. Sometimes she talks on topics which aren’t necessarily about the pen and paper as well, and she said something I knew I simply must share with you.

“I used to think freedom meant doing whatever you want. It means knowing who you are, what you are supposed to be doing on this earth, and then simply doing it.”

Isn’t that lovely? Now, let’s apply it to quitting. You, my friend, are amazing and beautiful. You are daring and brave and that is why you want to learn about new things and try something you have never tried before. You are also brilliant and know exactly what feeds your heart, keeps you on your path, and what doesn’t. This is why you quit things sometimes. You not letting go would pull you off the path which is specifically meant for you. You are so smart to know this and take action!

Keep trying new things! Keep putting your toe in different waters. Keep learning, being open, experiencing life, and never give up your beginner’s mind. And most of all, never ever continue doing something which shouldn’t be part of your life! Be brave enough to quit in order to stay on the path God has laid out for you.

And the label we keep slapping on our foreheads? It’s time to take it off. Let’s make sure we are free enough our actions are proactive, affirming, and intentional. We are not quitting, we are choosing something better.

Comments

  1. This is beautifully written--but hard to apply :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we all have different truths which are hard to apply personally. I have found keeping the truth in front of me helps the most.

      Delete
  2. I don't see you as a quitter... perhaps we can say sometimes we get distracted and come back to something much later than planned? that is not quitting that is just 'taking a detour'...:o)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, and that's what i am choosing from now on. I wont be quitting but choosing better. It's more proactive than reactive, but it allows me to view my past in a different light as well. I did the best I could in those moments, even if some of them were mistakes.

      Delete
  3. For me it's been more about "not finishing" or not having follow through. Thank you so much for getting it and offering a fresh perspective. I really needed to hear this after a week away, little inspiration and no motivation but a desire to carry on. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can do it Amy! Whatever you know you can't stop doing, you will have the strength to continue on. ((hugs)) Praying!

      Delete
  4. love love love love this :o

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you debi! That means so much. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh I love this! So true, and beautifully put!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh my girl... I don't see you as a quitter at all. Choosing not to do something any longer isn't necessarily the same thing, at least connotationally, as "quitting." Sometimes it's just understanding that what you're trying isn't right.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly!! :) That's how I'm seeing it now too. You always have been smarter than me. :D

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts