A Lost Deal

I stood at the counter staring into the box. Where the twelfth glass should have been was a giant empty echoing hole. Out of that hole came the voices.


"Are you not going to take it back?"
"It's not a good deal if you don't get all you pay for."
"Why wouldn't you take it back?"

I love Kohl's on a good day. You can walk in with a coupon and a little cash and walk out with more than you imagined. Yes, JCP is a square deal, but Kohl's is a great deal, when you get it. And that morning I had gotten it. I picked up a box that declared it had 12 glasses in it, and a small item which will find it's use at Christmastime, and spent nine dollars. $9!!!

But then I got home, and I saw the hole, and I heard the voices. I thought to myself, "How can I tell people I simply didn't want to go back, and it was still a good deal even without that glass?" And I thought to myself, "You are chickening out. Take them back." So I took a deep breath, piled myself back in the car, and made my way back to the store.

Why am I telling you this? Because I was wrong. The me I am really would have been fine with the 11 glasses for 6 dollars. They didn't have any more that style so after a return, refund, and repurchase of something else I got 6 glasses for 11 dollars. I lost my great deal, and can I say it is eating me up.

I am also sharing this story so you can learn from me. Sometimes the deal you have is better than anything else you will get. Don't exchange it because of those voices in your head. The next deal may be good, but the first one may be better.

Yes, yes.... cliches like "Don't look a gift horse in the mouth" and "One bird in the hand is better than two in the bush" are totally running through my head.



Now what? Well, we are where we are. The 6 glasses were still a good deal, and they are currently being cleaned in the dishwasher. Come on over. I'll make some tea.

Comments

  1. Oh, I can so completely understand this struggle! I would have stayed with the 11, because I can't stand taking something back- even if I CLEARLY should. Life is interesting, isn't it?
    Enjoy your glasses! They will forever remind you of this decision, won't they?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha! Yes, yes they will. One day I will get rid of all the old glasses and get something I am in love with. Until then I have 6 new glasses to go with the groupings of singles. :)

      Delete
    2. But when you have 2 boots that are different sizes it is worth going back! I know this is what you are thinking about. I would've taken them back, but the new deal would drive me crazy, too. I think everyone has something like this.

      Delete
    3. Yes! That would DEFINITELY have to go back. :)

      Delete
    4. Amy! Can't believe you remember that post!!! I still wear those boots and love them... :)
      Stacey- Amy is referring to one of my very first blog posts. If you want, you can read it here- http://www.dayebydaye.com/2011/02/tale-of-impulsive-boot-purchase.html

      Delete
  2. Stacey- loved your quotes! I think we can all identify! I would add another saying I learned when going to Europe : shop using "Moscow rules"- if u like something, buy it, you may never have the opportunity to buy it again. So I shop with that in the back of my mind. But only when I travel! lol
    Otherwise we'd be broke. What is it about us that makes us reluctant to reveal something that is wrong?

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts