Happy 28th of June.

What? You don’t celebrate the 28th of June? Well, I don’t normally either, and I guess I’m not really this time. But I am marking it. My oldest will leave in 2 months from this day. He will enlist in the Air Force and I could not be more pleased and excited for him. This has been a dream he has had for years, and to watch him begin to walk into his life is thrilling. As Captain always says, “This is what we raised him to do.”

(2010)

Now, with that being said I want to complain a little. Not about him leaving, but about us mothers on the internet. I am having a hard time finding other mothers who have moved through and blogged about this time period I am about to enter. I am thankful for my own mother, and for a few friends (who don’t blog, imagine!) who share their path, but as I read on another blog I crossed paths with – where are the blogs of the women whose nests are emptying?? After a {twitter search} I finally found a few women who share that part of their story. This thrilled me, but it also showed me that there are not a lot of women sharing. Why not? I have a few ideas, but that's another post. This post is to let you know, I will be sharing my story as my nest empties.

(2011)

I am 43 in one month, and in two months my home will have half as many children in it. We’ve all heard the jokes, the mentions of relief, and the longings for a quiet home, but I heard Michelle Pfeiffer speak last week on a morning news show. She said, “It’s not really funny. No one talks about walking past their empty bedroom.” And tears filled my eyes, because she’s right. And so I decided, I am going to talk about the empty bedrooms. I am going to share when my heart breaks over stupid stuff. I am going to write about how I get through this time period. It has the chance of lasting for a few years since that’s when my youngest finishes high school. Who knows what will happen by then. I simply know that more of us need to write about this, so we can help each other through it. Us mama hearts need support.

(2012)

And son, if you are reading, know I couldn’t be more thrilled for you. My heart bursts with pride for the steps you are taking and the path you are on. As you follow how you feel God is leading you, to do the good works He has put on your path, I am cheering you every step of the way. Never doubt that one iota.

Comments

  1. I will be sharing along side you on September 1st as our oldest leaves to attend Univesrity...(but I still have 3 more at home for a long while)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Please check out my blog: www.emptyhousefullmind.com. I blog a lot about the empty nest! And you will love it...eventually!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I follow you on twitter. Thank you Sharon. :) And yes, I will aclimate to the new normal eventually, I am sure. :)

      Delete
  3. I will be right where you are this fall with 2 leaving and 2 just entering high school (at home). I will be writing my way through this time, though I have to admit I am not really "upset" at the way things are going. Don't get me wrong, i LOVE my kids and my whole entire life has revolved around them for 2 decades and counting. They have been my world and there was a time I truly struggled with this impending change. Now, I am embracing it and I am finding that life on the "other side" has just as many joys...ups...downs...as when they were all toddlers.
    I am looking forward to journeying with you and I have also bookmarked http://www.emptyhousefullmind.com/ ! This is an amazing time and we ladies can embrace it and be thrilled with where the Lord has us...right now as Ann Voskamp would say :0).

    So glad to have met you on line. Your words are so utterly comforting, encouraging, challenging!

    Vacation time is ending oh so fast and it is back to reality and getting my new site up and running in the next 3-4 weeks. YAY!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Donna. I think the more I talk about it all and work through it I'll do better. Or I'm just a big baby! LOL :D So glad to have others to go through this together!

      Delete
  4. We have lived through the transition to the Empty Nest and back. We have stories to tell. I invite you to listen to Claudia and Jill on The Empty Nesters Radio Show www.Blogtalkradio.com/emptynesters and read our blog www.emptynestersradio.blogspot.com. It's a wonderful and exciting time. We always say, "expect the unexpected"

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. "and back"??? That sounds interesting! I will be checking your website out. Thanks so much!

      Delete
  5. I wonder if there's not a lot out there because it's not something we're "supposed" to talk about. Like when your children are young, you're not "supposed" to talk about the times when you get so frustrated, you momentarily wish you didn't have any children to be frustrated at. You're not SUPPOSED to feel those things, so you don't talk about them... and maybe it's the same with empty nesting. Maybe partly your children are old enough now that you don't want them to know the emotions that their leaving are bringing up. Or vice versa, you don't want to say the parts that are all "Dang, they left and it's awesome!" lol

    Anyway, I'm not much help at my mom-stage... but I'll be looking to you for when I get there. :) Love you to pieces.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts