Songs of prayer

I woke to the sun shining through the window. Ten minutes before the alarm would sound I reached over and turned the knob off. The birds let me know the morning had come and so the day was starting. Leaving the room with wet hair and clean teeth fifteen minutes later I made my way to the kitchen where my work would begin.

Work. Maybe I shouldn’t call it that anymore, for as the light flickered on above me all I felt was joy. I fed the dog and let him out as the coffee brewed. Turning to the recipe I began working on the dessert for the day; a delicious trifle full of strawberries and angel food cake which reminded me of cotton candy. After slicing, mixing, and layering I slid the dish into the refrigerator to chill and smiled at the sandwich rolls and bowl of pasta salad waiting patiently for the afternoon. I knew I only had the tea and lemonade left to prepare. Letting the dog back inside I watched the sky for a few minutes. The birds let me know they were still near as they sang from the tree in the neighbor’s yard. I couldn’t see them, but their song was comforting in the silence of the early morning.

The rest of the house slowly began waking up and I knew I had to get myself ready. Since the bathroom was empty I chose to step in before someone else did. Makeup and brush went to work to prepare the face I wanted to present the world. Suddenly a shadow flew past the window, hovering for a moment before leaving. I noted to check the gutter to see if a nest had been constructed above the window.

Later that day after the lemonade was long gone and the trifle enjoyed, I sat with coffee beside me and book in hand. I was so tired I would have chosen for someone to read to me, but they had all gone outside and left me to do what I wished. The story had a hold of me, so I chose to flip a few pages rather than close my eyes. Over the radio playing softly I could hear the laughter of the boys with their dad outside and the birds still singing as if the morning sun was just rising. A thought came to me which caused me to close the book and lean my head back: those birds had been with me through my entire day.

Sometimes it is the obvious which creates thoughts like lightning strikes. We are to pray continually, and yet no one stays on their knees all day long. So often we feel as if we fail because we can’t spend hours devoted in prayer. I challenge you instead to find joy in your day, listen with your heart, and notice the obvious. Just as the bird’s song comes through the house throughout the day, so God’s love comes into our life. All we have to do is open the window of our heart and let it soar in. God will walk through our day and we can walk with Him in a way that is continuous and never ending.



Comments

  1. LOVE IT! I have birdie friends too....want to see them? Can I send u a pik?

    Xo,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh! Paste them on facebook so I can see them. That would be lovely!

      Delete
  2. Good morning! I am visiting from GMG's Women in the Word Wednesday! Wonderful post :)

    http://lawyergirlruns86.blogspot.com/2012/05/women-in-word-wednesday.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jenna. I'm so glad you visited!

      Delete
  3. I really, really like the way you write and the things you write about. I think we could probably be good friends! I am so thankful you came to my blog and said hello!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Tereasa! Both of those are HUGE compliments I take to my heart. Thank you.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts