Rebellious expert

I stand in the nonfiction section of the library, bookstore, and amazon looking at how many experts we have to choose from. A dozen different commentaries you really need to understand the bible. Two dozen books on how to write. A bazillion books on different subjects, each. I stand and wonder what we are offering each other? A way through? A way out? A guided path? All of these amazing offerings from so many experts who want to help you along the way. In all reality we are extremely blessed by the choices, and hopefully we are smart in how we make those choices.

But that’s not what I want to write about today. No, my friend. I have purchased my share of amazing books, but lately I have also been thinking, “Who made all these people experts?” I’m rebellious like that. Want to know how else I’m rebellious? “Why can’t YOU and I be our own experts?”

Oh please, hear me out. I have so much to learn on so many different topics. I need to learn more about writing, quilting, crocheting, cooking, gardening, schooling, and living. I do not have all the education in the world, and the learning gaps I do have are sometimes as big as the Grand Canyon. And yet… I have something to bring to the table. So do you. No one knows more about us than ourselves.

We all have our own stories and our own situations which are unique and individual, and yet we are all so similar and the same. It’s easy for us to run to the books and posts which want to help us find our way. I want to be a little more rebellious and suggest that next time you are looking for a topic you look inside yourself first and last. What is the Holy Spirit saying to YOU?

Do you blog? Then know your story.
Do you parent? Then know your children.
Are you married? Then know your spouse.
Do you craft? Then get the glue out.

I guess this all comes down to the ever popular commercial saying, “Just do it.” Are we similar? Yes! Can we encourage one another? We should! Can we help one another? Oh yes! But this is YOUR life, and I cannot tell you how that looks. Only the Holy Spirit should have such control over you. So, please, read the books and gain information. Learn the knowledge which makes life easier. But measure it carefully and allow it to be filtered through this amazing brain and thought process you have for your own life.

Be you, my friend. Be you.

Comments

  1. Love this... Might just have to visit my craft room today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Yes! I just pulled up two soap boxes,and I'm standing with you! lol. So very true.
    Have a wonderful day!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it! We are our own experts. I'm so getting my quilting on this weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOOHOO!!!! I can't wait to see the beauty you make!

      Delete
  4. First off Happy Mother's Day to you Stacy :) !
    Second, I am having great fun with where the Holy Spirit is leading me. I think I mentioned to you the group I was forming; MOP Girls. We had our first meeting last week and it was so fruitful. The Lord is giving me so much material to create a curriculum of sorts with.....now if I could just get a little more time! Aimee broke her ankle last Sunday night, so that caused a hiccup in my productivity this week ;)

    Xo,
    Patti

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh Pattie I am so sorry about Aimee's ankle!! I hope that she's doing okay.

      I think your MOP Girls is absolutely wonderful! I am thrilled for you and s excited. Once you get this down under your belt for a season you might want to consider sharing the idea. I bet there are a lot more MOP Girls out there who would love such support and community! So proud of you.

      Have a great Mother's day yourself!!

      Delete
  5. I love this.

    When my sister got pregnant, the first thing I told her was "Get rid of the books." As a pregnant girl and later as a mom, nothing went the way the books told me they were supposed to go, and I OBSESSED LIKE CRAZY. And you know what would have been a lot better? To just be a mom. Seek out advice from trusted individuals, sure. But to trust my own instincts, too. More.

    And I think that goes for a lot of things. Not just mom'ing.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love this, and love your beautiful blog header.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts