A Lie: You are irreplaceable

I sat at the desk humming to myself feeling on top of the world. I had been there long enough to know the other employees better and to know my job well. I knew without a doubt the establishment wouldn’t run as smoothly without me. As the music played through the speakers in the ceiling I waited for the next opportunity to work my magic. Then it happened, the phone rang.

“Good evening. Johnston Ford in Addison. How may I direct your call?”

Yes, I answered the phone and welcomed the guests in a car dealership. Even so, I had gotten to the point where I felt I was responsible for so much more. I wanted to make sure the salespeople answered their calls. Sometimes I left my desk in order to track them down when I thought they were ignoring the intercom. I wanted to make sure the guests were helped, so I would take them where they needed to go instead of directing them. Let me add that when I left the desk, no one else was there to answer the phone or welcome the guests. So my job wasn’t done at all as I tried to extend my control and show my importance. It was really quite… sad. I began to believe the lie that I was irreplaceable.

Sometimes we get to the point where we think we are the only ones that can do a certain job well. Whether it’s answering the phone in a car dealership, a high level position in the government, washing the dishes at home, or running a ministry we begin to believe it has to be done one way. Our way. Anything else is wrong or at the very least not as good. This thinking makes us feel irreplaceable in those positions because no one else can do it like we can. We are no longer open to hearing what anyone else has to say. We see ourselves as more important than we really are. We won’t let anyone help nor can we delegate because it has to be us who does the job to have it done correctly. We have fallen into a lie perpetuated by our own ego.

{Truth}

Comments

  1. Ooh, this is very good. When I began relinquishing certain chores to the kids, I had to learn to understand that the thing being DONE was the important thing... and not so much that it was done the way I would do it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Same thought, Jo! Yes, good stuff, Stacey. Keeping me in check here!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts