An altered quilt top
Sometimes something clicks. Things aren't right, you aren't happy with the way things look, seem, or appear. And then all of a sudden, everything is so very different after a little bit of rearranging. That's what happened with this quilt top. After I finished it I folded it up, stuffed it under the table, and thought to myself if I didn't finish it I wouldn't waste more material. But then, after a few days, I pulled it out again.
I folded the quilt top up, and started cutting. Three slices in both directions left me with enough pieces that I could rearrange and end up with a completely different look. What had kept me from doing anything like this prior was that I thought it was supposed to be a certain way. I had put parameters on myself that limited me in what I could or could not do. And then I realized that was plain silly. The quilt top didn't work. I needed to do what I could to try to make it work. If it didn't turn out I would be no worse off than if I had left it alone.
Although, I don't really think that's true. I think not trying is damaging to us in a small way. It gives strength to the critic and the negative voices whether they are in our mind or come externally. Sometimes the trying again matters a lot.