Water, Flowers, Grass, Sand

Always remember
that the future comes
one day at a time.
~Dean Acheson

I find that I am both the epitome and the opposite of this quote. I only seem to be able to take things one day at a time, as they come. While I am learning to look further into the future, it is difficult to get too detailed with plans because I know every day will bring a little change. However, at the same time, I grow frustrated when it takes me longer than "now" to do something.

Wouldn't it be nice if we literally could set a day and decide that everything would change then? January 1st, 2012, we will be more like we want to be. We will be kinder, gentler, easier to get along with, more creative, firm, and fun. We will have new beneficial habits that will be set in stone, and new ventures that will make us feel as if we are soaring. But that's simply not the way of it. I see change instead like water, grass, flowers, and sand.

When you throw a rock out into the river, or when a fish jumps in a pond, you can be assured that there will be a change across the surface of the water. Ripples will form from the point of impact and slowly go out in all directions. Some changes we make are like this. We may or may not plan them, but we watch them move through our life slowly and surely leaving things similar but different.

I couldn't help but think of the soap opera Days of Our Lives when the sand came into my mind. The show always started with the sand of the hourglass slowly falling from one section to the next. It represented our days, each piece of sand, leaving us. Once it's gone we can't do it again, so we only have that moment to change something if we want to. We can lose opportunities if we aren't paying attention.

Grass starts out as a seed, and ends up being harvested. It's a slow process, but one that has a productive outcome. This is the change most of us strive for in our lives at this time of year. The hard working change, the productive change, the change we can point to and see the benefits of.

While flowers also start out as a seed, some people don't think it is a productive end. Cut flowers wither and die, so what is the purpose? To bring beauty into the world, to share love, to experience joy. This change may not be long lasting on this earth, but I believe it is the type of change that benefits us and those around us the most.

Truth be told, all of these changes come to us whether we plan them or not. As I take stock of where I am and who I am much goes into how I evalute things. What changes would I like to see? What do I think God is working on in and around me? What is growing, what is rippling, and what can I no longer do anything about?

I'm sitting down with paper today. I'm going to go over the Life Plan I currently have, and tweak it. I'm going to add to it, and take away from it. I'm going to look at the changes I have been making, and write them down so I can see them. I'm going to consider where I want to end up and who I want to be. I will make some lists, some steps, some ideas and pray about it all as I do it.

I will go through all these changes above, and more, rest assured. Some I will see coming, and some I wont realize until it's too late. But for now I will take things one day at a time and evalute everything with the knowledge I have now.

How do you see the change in your life?

Comments

Popular Posts