Control factor

041
Maybe because we cannot control some change,
we try to change the things we think we control.

I've been staring at this picture and thinking about the sky being the limit, and the fences that border us in for about the past half hour or so. I think about all the lists that are going around and wonder which ones I would do. The Bucket List? The Been There Done That List? The Never In a Million Years List? The If Anything Were Possible List? There's simply something soothing about writing a list down and being able to look at it. Maybe it's simply because the idea feels more tangible when we can hold the paper it is written on. Or maybe it's a sense of control we are looking for. 

This coming year holds change for me. Some big changes. It's nice knowing the change is coming because I can prepare for them. Get adjusted to it before it happens. And let me say, there is still a bit of time before either of the two changes happen. I just thought it would give me a sense of control, but there is none. Knowing does not let me feel like I am controlling a thing. Now I simply feel as if I am dreading it, and I don't want to do that. Truth be told, if God is going to allow us to go through these changes, then He has a plan to follow as well. I know this. I simply need to control my emotions. Ah, the control factor still evident.

"You can't control those around you. You're doing good if you can control yourself." ~ unknown
"Life is 10% what happens to you, 90% how you react to it." ~ Charles Swindoll

 As I look at what is to come, I know there is more that I do not know. Trusting God with all of it can be hard some days, though I know it should not be. His control is so much better than mine, and so I try again to release and let go and listen closely to hear His calling and watch for His path. With all my lists, ideas, life plans, and choices I know that His path is the one I want to take.

"Life is what happens when you are busy making plans." ~ John Lennon
"Man plans, God laughs." ~ Yiddish saying

These are the thoughts and ideas that keep me from planning some days. The fact that I have no idea what tomorrow will bring, even when I think I do. What I really want is to be able to accept whatever comes, and I am grateful to God for any ability to prepare for it. So, many of my lists also include preparations for what might be. No, I'm not getting all Mayan on you. I'll let God worry about the end of the world. I'll just prep for what He has let me know about for now, and be thankful for that ability. Am I trying to control things still? I don't think so. I think I'm simply trying to be wise with what He has given me.

"Many are the plans in a man's heart, but it is the LORD's purpose that prevails."

Comments

Popular Posts