What is the Truth?

So, our minds keep wandering and can't seem to stay focused on trusting God? Why is that? Generally it is because we are living with lies we have lived with our entire life. It is not easy to get rid of them. It takes work and power, as Mrs. Moore says, divine power. Now, we do have that power and we are told this is where our fight is. But I'm betting there are a bunch of people out in this world just like me. I know the Truth in my head, but my heart knows this "truth" I have lived with forever, and when the two come up against each other I just crumble. This is why it is so important to memorize scripture.

Our own perspective is so very flawed. If I don't learn and know the Truth then the lies can masquerade as truth and I wont be able to fight them. I may not even know I need to fight them. Let me tell you, some of the strongest lies are those which have an ounce of Truth in them.

One of my points of bondage is worrying about what people think. I want to please others. I want them to be proud of me. I struggle if someone is mad at me or doesn't like me. One of the truths of this world is that not everyone will be liked. I twist this to be no one likes me. You can see how this could be a gigantic circle that I can get lost in. I try to deny and say, "No they like me, they do" but the lie creeps up again within a matter of time and I find myself stressing about whether they like me or not. Do they approve of me? What can I do to make them happy? I tell myself I should do everything in my power to live peaceably with everyone and to try to be everything to everyone so that I am not the problem. And this is very often when I become the problem. So I swing on this pendulum that goes from "Do everything to make people happy" to the other side of "Ignore everyone and don't worry about them." The truth lies in the middle but how am I ever to find it?

Romans 12:18 "If possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all."

Do you see the difference between what Truth says and what my mind was telling me? That small difference can send you spiraling into yourself before you even know what has happened. And yet, even now I can hear myself telling me that I am looking for loopholes. Even sitting here looking at the Truth of what that verse says.

Or we tell ourselves that we have to love everyone. And by love, of course, I mean be the best friend of, be there to pick someone up, to support, and to give a helping hand whenever needed. We have to get along with everyone regardless of who they are or what they have done. It feels wrong, so we tell ourselves that is Satan trying to tempt us not to be loving. I have done this for eons. And last night God gave me truth through Mrs. Moore's video at the study.

2 Timothy 3:1-5 "But understand this, that in the last days there will come times of difficulty. For people will be lovers of self, lovers of money, proud, arrogant, abusive, disobedient to their parents, ungrateful, unholy, heartless, unappeasable, slanderous, without self-control, brutal, not loving good, treacherous, reckless, swollen with conceit, lovers of pleasure rather than lovers of God, having the appearance of godliness, but denying its power. Avoid such people."

Did you see that?? There are some people we should avoid. And let me tell you, the lie I have lived with most of my life wants to EXPLAIN THIS AWAY. But I am holding on tight to this scripture because it is Truth!

This is why it's so important to memorize scripture. Scripture is Truth, and without that we can only rest in our own knowledge which is weak at best and warped at worst. Our own truth will keep us in the see saw of turmoil and strife and our mind will never be steadfast because it isn't rooted in Truth.

Comments

Popular Posts