31 Days of Being Still:: When Others Have Hurt

When there is someone to blame, it's not any easier. Sometimes we get so lost in pointing fingers at them that we forget to look to God. And He is there waiting to be your Judge.

That phrase, at first blow, makes me want to stand up and yell. It makes me mad, frustrates me, and spins my mind. When I first read that God wants to be my judge in situations where I was hurt by someone else, I cried out because I didn't understand.

Now, I understand and it has changed (or is changing) how I see things.

Romans 12:19
Do not take revenge, my friends, but leave room for God's wrath,
for it is written: "It is mine to avenge; I will repay," says the Lord.

I will admit, that I used to see this as a light hearted issue. I never really truly directed God's vengeance to situations that more likely than not deserved them. Instead, if I was having an argument with someone, and I wanted them to agree with me because I thought I was right, if they suddenly hit their head, tripped while walking, or a child accidentally threw a toy at them, it was a "sign from God" that I was right and God was making it clear. It would always be followed with a "Thank you, Lord" and a short giggle. I never meant it maliciously, towards the person, or disrespectfully, towards God.

This month I read A Cry for Justice by Shelley Hundley and learned a more serious aspect of God taking his wrath out on someone. Whether you have been ignored, betrayed, abandoned, or abused in any manner of speaking, this book will bring a light onto your pain, and your God*. At least it did for me.

God is a God of Justice as much as He is a God of Love. In fact, they go together. He loves you so much, that He simply does not abide anyone hurting you. That person will have to pay the price. Just like we have to pay the price of our actions, but as Christians we are redeemed from that payment because Christ made it for us on the cross. We wont have to bear the full brunt of God's wrath because we are no longer condemned. But those people who have hurt you in so many ways will have to face God and his wrath if they do not know Christ as their savior.

I can say that this has made me fearful for those who have hurt me. I want them to be saved as well, if they aren't already, and if they are I am so grateful for their sake. This fact, that God will take revenge for me, has not made me more eager to see someone fall under God's wrath, but it has made me more eager for them to know God fully as their Judge as well.

So, when you find yourself sitting in a world of hurt, angry at those people who have done their best to destroy you, remember that you aren't alone. Be still, quiet your mind and move your focus from people to God. You will find him, by your side, in your pain, reminding you that He will Judge those who have hurt you, and He will not leave you forsaken.

Psalm 46:4-6
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy place where the Most High dwells.
God is within her, she will not fall;
God will help her at break of day.
Nations are in uproar, kingdoms fall;
he lifts his voice, the earth melts.


*The first part of Mrs. Hundley's book covers this topic. The second part talks about her prophecy and I almost wish she had made it two books. I have linked to a better review of the book.

Comments

Popular Posts