31 Days of Being Still:: Time to do Business

Another attitude that can keep you from going to God is much like a numbness. It can be there for a variety of reasons, and everyone has their own. This numbness seems to envelope you to the point where you simply do not care one way or the other. About anything. Especially about God.


It's not that you realize you are angry at God, if you were then maybe you could deal with it. No, this is different in the way that it feels. You may as well be the bubble boy living in your own cocoon. Not to change, but just to exist. You go through your days, taking care of what needs to be taken care of, not thinking about much. There is little complaining or grumbling. There is not much joy or happiness. There is no peace.

This life you have been given is your lot. You have been given this hand out of the deck of life, and so you must play on. You get up in the mornings, put your feet on the floor, and trudge on to the next task because that is what must be done.

I don't really know the name of this bubble, but I know how it feels. Some say we get so overwhelmed that we simply shut down. I don't know. What I know is that while we are in that bubble we are very rarely aware that God is with us. If someone told me while I was in the bubble that God was ever present my reaction would most likely be to scoff. Maybe it's being cynical? We simply know that God, if He was truly ever present, would make more of a difference in our life.

We don't realize that we have built what keeps the distance. And that bubble, balloon, or wall... whatever name you give it... it doesn't allow you to be still and know that He is Lord. No, it keeps you busy. It keeps you thinking not about Him but about a bazillion things that don't matter. It keeps a distance so you don't have to face Him for whatever reason you don't want to face Him.

Maybe, when we get like this, it's time to stop everything and be still for an extended period of time to do whatever business we need to do with God. Maybe?

Comments

  1. "it doesn't allow you to be still and know that He is Lord. No, it keeps you busy. It keeps you thinking not about Him but about a bazillion things that don't matter. It keeps a distance so you don't have to face Him for whatever reason you don't want to face Him."

    well said.....and so very true!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh thank you. Sometimes I worry about being off base. I appreciate you letting me know I'm somewhere near the mark. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this... I think that sometimes I put up that bubble, wall, what-have-you to keep hurt out, always forgetting that I'm shutting God out, too. And then focus on anything else, doesn't even matter what it is, so I don't have to acknowledge that and deal with it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts