31 Days of Being Still:: The Psalm



Psalm 46

God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.
Therefore we will not fear though the earth gives way,
though the mountains be moved into the heart of the sea,
though its waters roar and foam,
though the mountains tremble at it's swelling.
Selah.
There is a river whose streams make glad the city of God,
the holy habitation of the Most High.
God is in the midst of her, she shall not be moved;
God will help her when morning dawns.
The nations rage, the kingdoms totter,
he utters his voice, the earth melts.
The Lord of hosts is with us; 
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah.
Come, behold the works of the Lord,
how he has brought desolations on the earth.
He makes wars cease to the end of the earth;
he breaks the bow and shatters the spear;
he burns the chariots with fire.
"Be still and know that I am God.
I will be exalted among the nations,
I will be exalted in the earth!"
 The Lord of hosts is with us;
the God of Jacob is our fortress.
Selah.


I began this idea less than a week ago and I'm not sure it's the same now as it was then. I was going to take you along on a little experiment. Spend some time every morning being still. It's such a simple idea, and I am learning every day that it is more complex than I originally thought.

Through my study already I have come to realize that this Psalm, and the verse near the end, is not simply a call to stop. It is that, but more. It is also a call to release fear and pride, and I was quite amazed when I learned that. Fear and Pride. Oh, two things I struggle with and give in to on a regular basis. This Psalm is for me now more than I ever realized.

At first I thought my "experiment" was a failure before it ever began. I didn't know what I was doing. I didn't have any idea. But then I crossed paths with Spurgeon's Commentary on this Psalm, specifically verse 10, bolded above, and I thought maybe I should just go ahead and move forward and keep learning at the same time.

"Hold of your hands, ye enemies! Sit down and wait in patience, ye believers! Acknowledge that Jehovah is God, ye who feel the terrors of his wrath!... Since none can worthily proclaim his nature, let 'expressive silence muse his praise!'"

I invite you to come along and join me as I work to have "expressive silence" every day. I will share what I learn from this time period, from my study time, and any results from this "experiment." I'm excited to move forward!

If you are also doing a 31days theme I would love to know about it. If you haven't signed up at one of the eight original, head over to Chatting at the Sky and do so, but leave a link in my comments as well and I'll be sure to visit!

Comments

  1. I decided to participate too! Looking forward to it - hope I can keep up!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and the encouraging words!!
    Looking forward to seeing more on "Being Still" - an important subject for!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts