31 Days of Being Still:: Out of Control Circumstances

When things happen in life and there is no one to blame, it can be difficult. We WANT someone to blame. We want to point fingers. But in reality so much happens simply because it's part of life. No one to blame. Just the circumstances we find ourselves in.

So many different things can happen in this world. Things we don't see, things we can't hide from.
  • the car battery dies
  • everyone is in meetings when you need assistance
  • you hurt your foot
  • your husband is laid off
  • your child is diagnosed with an illness
  • the baby's diaper explodes in the middle of the store

Small things and big things. One at a time we can usually handle them, but so often they don't happen one at a time. Too often we feel like a snowball running down a mountain which eventually turns into an avalanche that we find ourselves under. At what point do we stop and turn to God? When things start to happen or when things seem out of control?

Right now things seem a little out of control in my life, and I'm having such a difficult time. I want to race ahead and make changes and "do what needs to be done." I want to fix things. But I can't. And I wonder what God is up to.

There is no one to blame. And I don't want to blame God. I want to fix everything. But I don't know what to do. Do I continue to wait on God when it's an avalanche? It's so much easier when it's simply a snowball. The avalanche makes me want to run and scream and get someone to help me. ANYONE.

And then God had me read these verses through my Bible study this morning.

Isaiah 30:15 For thus said the Lord GOD, the Holy One of Israel, "In returning and rest you shall be saved; in quietness and in trust shall be your strength."

Isaiah 30:18 Therefore the Lord waits to be gracious to you, and therefore he exalts himself to show mercy to you. For the Lord is a God of justice; blessed are all those who wait for him.

I desperately don't want to be a rebellious child ignoring the Lord and running for safety elsewhere. And I'll be honest, I feel as if I am "not doing anything" when I try to wait on God. But I have to trust that God WILL show me the way to go in the midst of circumstances that make us feel overwhelmed.

Isaiah 30:21 And your ears shall hear a word behind you, saying, "This is the way, walk in it," when you turn to the right or when you turn to the left.

Psalm 46:10 Be still and know that I am God.

* Please note that all the circumstances in the above list do not represent my out of control circumstances.

Comments

  1. I'm catching up... :)

    Sometimes I find this part really hard... My first reaction when I read your words "I want to fix everything" was "Stacey, maybe that's not your job. God's bigger." But, I, too, sometimes find myself stuck between my head knowledge that God is bigger and that God can take care of these things... but also with my belief that sometimes God's way of taking care of those things is to work THROUGH us, and that we miss the blessings if we wait forever. Like the story of the guy in the flood who won't accept any help because he's waiting for God to save him.

    I don't know... lol this comment is completely unhelpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I just came upon your series of 31 days and it's very good! Wished I had checked it out sooner.

    I seem to have trouble knowing how much to say/do myself and how much to step back and trust and let God work it out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Aneta! Feel free to go back and peruse any of the posts you like. :)

    I totally get what you are saying, for that IS a struggle for me, too. I always want to make sure I'm doing the right thing, and the tug-o-wars that causes can be downright dibilitating at times. Being still has helped me bring those issues to God more often, which so far has helped me find peace about deicisions that I have made. Whether to act or wait. :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts